SOLVED

PURL page dynamic content only displays in Incognito browser mode

Go to solution
Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

PURL page dynamic content only displays in Incognito browser mode

I'm trying to test a PURL page with a person's unique name as part of the URL. I noticed when I preview the live page using any browser, that it only displays the correct dynamic content when I'm in Incognito mode. It never works in regular mode, which is a problem because we'll be sending these PURL links via email. The recipient may not know to use Incognito mode. How do I resolve this?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: PURL page dynamic content only displays in Incognito browser mode

In this case Incognito mode merely means "no existing _mkto_trk cookie" – you'd get the same result if you manually deleted your cookie in a standard session.

There was a long-standing bug in pURLs that I showed how to fix here: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Product-Blogs/Fixing-Marketo-pURLs/ba-p/243270

Use the code from that post and you should be good, although your situation is slightly different.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

In this case Incognito mode merely means "no existing _mkto_trk cookie" – you'd get the same result if you manually deleted your cookie in a standard session.

There was a long-standing bug in pURLs that I showed how to fix here: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Product-Blogs/Fixing-Marketo-pURLs/ba-p/243270

Use the code from that post and you should be good, although your situation is slightly different.
Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Thanks for your feedback. I pasted this code in my Junior Template from your article. It kinda fixed it, but not really. Two things...

1. On my computer, I see my personalized landing page now. However, at the top of the page, this code is now visible: FormsPlus.pURL.fixSession();

2. When my co-worker put my same PURL on her computer, she does not see my personalized landing page. It shows the default content. However, she can also see this piece of code visible at the top of the page: FormsPlus.pURL.fixSession();

3. If I type in a different PURL (someone else's name), it still displays my own personalized content.  😕

So, I'm not sure it actually worked.

One thing I did notice is when I right click anywhere on the page and go to the INSPECT panel, I see an error in the Console:

Uncaught ReferenceError: MktoForms2 is not defined

Could this be causing an issue?

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Nevermind. I found the fix for the FormsPlus.pURL.fixSession(); issue from the very bottom comment in your full article: https://blog.teknkl.com/fixing-marketo-purls/?marketo-nation

I realized it need <script></script>  tags around that one-liner. DUH! 

Thank you for your help!

SanfordWhiteman

Actually you must move this thread to the Products space:

https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Products/ct-p/products

This isn't the appropriate space for community support.

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Can you please walk me through how to move my thread? I went to "EDIT", but didn't see an option to change the category or space. 

Thanks. 

SanfordWhiteman

I don’t exactly know because I never start threads, only answer them. 🙂

Since the community platform changed a couple of weeks ago perhaps there isn’t a way – but that wold be unfortunate.

If you can’t move it, please open a new thread in Products and just mark my answer about moving the thread as a solution – maybe that will help people in future.
Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Thanks for your feedback. I pasted this code in my Junior Template from your article. It kinda fixed it, but not really. Two things...

1. On my computer, I see my personalized landing page now. However, at the top of the page, this code is now visible: FormsPlus.pURL.fixSession();

2. When my co-worker put my same PURL on her computer, she does not see my personalized landing page. It shows the default content. However, she can also see this piece of code visible at the top of the page: FormsPlus.pURL.fixSession();

3. If I type in a different PURL (someone else's name), it still displays my own personalized content.  😕

So, I'm not sure it actually worked.

One thing I did notice is when I right click anywhere on the page and go to the INSPECT panel, I see an error in the Console:

Uncaught ReferenceError: MktoForms2 is not defined

Could this be causing an issue?