Apologies in advance for the rather lengthy use case example that follows, which many of you may have experienced. However, it provides context for my suggestions at the end.
We recently experienced a massive backlog with hundreds of thousands of leads backed up in dozens of smart campaigns. It was taking almost 15 hours for some to execute and for leads to sync to SFDC. We could see in which smart campaigns this was occurring with the Campaign Queue, which helped to identify the smart campaigns that were causing this. One anomaly we observed was that the flow of entries in the Results tab of our key Lead is Created triggered smart campaign that syncs new leads to SFDC had numerous long (>30 minutes) periods of no results being logged when normally it has results logged every minute or so, and strangely, the Campaign Queue showed no backlog in this smart campaign.
We finally identified a couple of new lead scoring smart campaigns that were effectively causing a chain reaction of smart campaigns to be triggered and when we revised those, the backlog decreased.
Then we sent an email blast to over 300K leads (our largest) and observed that hundreds of leads were stuck in Wait flow steps for hours beyond the wait period, webinar registration confirmations and nurture emails were being delayed as long as a day and again we were seeing the flow of entries in the Results tab of our key Lead is Created triggered smart campaign have long periods of inactivity. However, the Campaign Queue showed virtually no backlog in our smart campaigns. Tier 3 support used a 'Trigger Queue' report to identify two smart campaigns that were "expensive in regards to the trigger resource and causing delays."
We were able to focus on these smart campaigns from this insight and identified the cause of the problem as an Email is Delivered trigger, that had been inadvertently changed from 'contains' to 'not starts with', which caused it to evaluate more than the intended few thousand emails once a week. As soon as we made this one change, all of the problems stopped.
So we learened a few things about smart campaign processing from this.
And here are my suggestions.
I wish I could vote for this more than once. We are also experiencing the backlog issue (sometimes over a million people in the backlog) and it's causing a 2-3 day delay in tasks to be created and sent to our sales team. The delays are easily fixed once we know which campaigns are causing the backlog, but without the Trigger Queue visibility we can't get them fixed without a Support ticket.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.