SOLVED

'Cannot update stale object' when cloning program

Go to solution
Andrea_Tupini
Level 2

'Cannot update stale object' when cloning program

Hello, I have some 'template' programs that we use when creating a program for event. These templates have preconfigured campaigns, emails, landing pages, and a form.

However, when trying to create a new program by cloning any of these templates I get the following error (see attached for screenshot):

Program clone failed — mktDbException [sfStalePropelObjectException]; msg = Cannot update a stale object

I've seen in the Marketo doc (here) and in another question (here) that this error happens when one of the assets in the program is updated while the program is being cloned. However, I think it is very unlikely that this is what is happening, since I've tried cloning 5 different programs and got the error every time, and nobody on my team is working on those. 

Also as advised in the links mentioned above I've tried simply waiting. But the problem still persists, even after 2 hours (up until the moment this question is being posted).

Is there some other way we can fix this?

Thanks!

PD: I tried posting this to the 'support' space, but it seems I don't have access. I apologize for any inconvenience. 

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Natalie_Kremer
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

Re: 'Cannot update stale object' when cloning program

We had the same issue yesterday with our Program Templates and opened a Support ticket. They've elevated it to Engineering, but in the interim have suggested a workaround. They've suggested we unapprove the emails within the Program and then reapprove them. This seems to be working for now, but we're still waiting on further resolution. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Usually this occurs when another WS has the asset OR the assets were archived and cannot be "seen" officially by the new campaign, even though you can see it in the original.

I'd post your question to Support for further help. If you aren't an authorized user, ask your admin.

Natalie_Kremer
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

We had the same issue yesterday with our Program Templates and opened a Support ticket. They've elevated it to Engineering, but in the interim have suggested a workaround. They've suggested we unapprove the emails within the Program and then reapprove them. This seems to be working for now, but we're still waiting on further resolution. 

Andrea_Tupini
Level 2

Thanks a lot Natalie Kremer! I created drafts of all the assets and then reapproved them as suggested. Now it lets me clone the program without complaints 

Rani_Persaud
Level 1

Hi, 

I've also been experiencing this issue since yesterday (Aug. 19). I contacted Support and here is their temporary 'solution'. 

Yes, having issues cloning a program is currently a known issue that our engineering team is working to fix and have a patch released. We have though found a work around that will hopefully work.

1. Check for the email assets used in the program.
2. If the email assets are already in approved state then:
2a. Un-approve all the emails and re-approve it again.
2b. If the email assets are in draft mode then approve all the emails.
3. Once all the email assets are re-approved/approved, try to clone the program.

This only works well if you don't have any campaigns set up in your programs. Having to unapprove your email is not so bad but if said email is in use within a campaign then it's not efficient. I've relegated myself to simply cloning each individual piece.

tks

Andrea_Tupini
Level 2

well I also had some campaigns in my programs. That is why I ended up creating drafts and then reapproving, in this way there was no need to touch the campaigns.

Lindsay_Garland
Level 2

yeah, we had campaigns too so we had to remove from the campaigns in order to unapprove and re-approve. Thought I tried the draft way first but glad to know that works and is quicker. We still have some others we need to fix. Did you have issues with all program channels? 

Rani_Persaud
Level 1

Hi Andrea,

I tried your way and it works! Thank you!!!!

Now I don't have to touch my campaigns.

Cheers!

Frederick_Weiss
Level 1

Having the same issue

Lindsay_Garland
Level 2

We had the same issue. I went back and unapproved all assets and re-approved and that seems to have worked. Seemed like it was attached only to event program channels for us.