SOLVED

Engagement Score Trouble

Go to solution
katemusso1998
Level 1

Engagement Score Trouble

Hey community! When checking the results of one my nurture streams, I noticed that the engagement score seemed really off in comparison to my other metrics. 

My average engagement score is 38 (3 emails with engagement scores of 38, 38, and 39). However, the metrics are very high. I included them below for reference: 

• Delivered rate: 99.1% 
  • Average open rate = 69.7%
  • Average click rate = 47.8%
  • Average clicked to open = 68.5%
  • Unsubscribe rate = 0% (out of 423 sends sends)

These metrics are significantly better than my other streams, but my other streams have higher engagement scores.

From what I've read, the score is based on "engaged behavior (Open, Click, Program Success) and disengaged behavior (Unsubscribe)", so I'm confused how these metrics are yielding a score in the 30s. I feel like something isn't matching up, or maybe I'm overlooking something here. 

I would love to hear if anyone has insight or has had a similar issue. Huge thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Engagement Score Trouble

Did you wait out the 72 hours period post the last cast from this stream? Engagement score is re-calculated after 72 hours of each cast and includes the metrics of last 3 casts. In general, for your background, under the hood Marketo calculates the engagement score based on all Marketo customers' email engagement rates of the nurture style emails. Over 50 means that you are doing better than 50% of customers. Under 50 means you are doing worse than 50% of customers from industries. Since it is benchmarked against all the industries and clicks/opens being relatively unreliable metrics (of course, due to bot activities), I personally don't recommend making gigantic content decisions based on it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1

Did you wait out the 72 hours period post the last cast from this stream? Engagement score is re-calculated after 72 hours of each cast and includes the metrics of last 3 casts. In general, for your background, under the hood Marketo calculates the engagement score based on all Marketo customers' email engagement rates of the nurture style emails. Over 50 means that you are doing better than 50% of customers. Under 50 means you are doing worse than 50% of customers from industries. Since it is benchmarked against all the industries and clicks/opens being relatively unreliable metrics (of course, due to bot activities), I personally don't recommend making gigantic content decisions based on it.

katemusso1998
Level 1

This is very helpful, thank you! I did wait the 72 hours, but agreed with your recommendation to not make huge decisions based on it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a key part of the equation here!

Darshil_Shah1

I'd recommend you to wait for sometime (a day or two), see if the engagement score updates to a higher value (given that emails in other streams with relatively less engagements have a higher engagement score), else you can check with the support. IMO Email engagements (however unreliable) should be more or less directly proportional with the email's engagement score.