Marketo List Import [DUPLICATE FAIL] to SFDC (Salesforce) using Program Campaigns

AndreeMunoz
Level 1

Marketo List Import [DUPLICATE FAIL] to SFDC (Salesforce) using Program Campaigns

Hi everyone. I am bumping into an issue when using campaigns within my programs when using the  "add to SFDC" step in the flow section. I'm indicating the campaign to look for a specific list and simply send those contacts over to a specific campaign in salesforce. It worked well for most for the list but I keep getting this message for some of them: Failed: {DUPLICATES_DETECTED: Use one of these records?}.

Does anyone know if I can set rules around how to treat duplicated? id like to specify what happens to the contact instead of it just not being added?

Any help or insight here would be extremely valuable.

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Marketo List Import [DUPLICATE FAIL] to SFDC (Salesforce) using Program Campaigns

You probably have a de-duplication rule set in SFDC that is preventing you from creating records that qualify as duplicates as per the rule set. I'd advise you to check with your SFDC admin regarding the active de-dupe rule set in SFDC. Your SFDC org probably has records with the same email addresses you're trying to create as net new records in SFDC from Marketo (probably the sync user isn't able to see the original record and that's why the record hasn't synced over from SFDC to Marketo in the first place). You could adjust the sync user permission so these people get synced over to Marketo or adjust your dedupe rule in SFDC so Marketo is able to create new records, but fair warning that with the latter option, you'd end up having duplicates in your SFDC org.

maddie_vararu_n
Level 1

Re: Marketo List Import [DUPLICATE FAIL] to SFDC (Salesforce) using Program Campaigns

Hi Darshil, I've been seeing a lot of this problem recently as well. SFDC admin is saying it's Marketo's problem and I can't seem to convince them otherwise. I've had a deeper look at a couple of records and this is what I'm seeing:

1. There's one contact in SFDC and one Marketo person. We collect the Marketo ID in SFDC and the Marketo ID in SFDC doesn't match the actual Marketo ID. Marketo has the correct contact ID from SFDC. In SFDC the record was created in 2015 by a salesperson. In Marketo, the record was created in 2022 by form fill. It looks like at some point the Marketo record was deleted and the SFDC record maintained. When the new Marketo record was created, the sync was no longer possible for some reason and I keep getting the same error no matter what I try to do. If Marketo were able to sync to SFDC, do you think it would create a duplicate, or identify that there actually is a SFDC record and update the information?
  2. I have two records in Marketo and just one SFDC lead. I tried merging the two Marketo records but I get an error due to native-crm sync. I'm guessing because there aren't 2 records in SFDC to sync it's not allowing me to touch the Marketo records either. Is there anything I can do to merge the two Marketo records when I don't have 2 corresponding SFDC records?

Many thanks for your help!

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@maddie_vararu_n wrote:

Hi Darshil, I've been seeing a lot of this problem recently as well. SFDC admin is saying it's Marketo's problem and I can't seem to convince them otherwise. I've had a deeper look at a couple of records and this is what I'm seeing:

1. There's one contact in SFDC and one Marketo person. We collect the Marketo ID in SFDC and the Marketo ID in SFDC doesn't match the actual Marketo ID. Marketo has the correct contact ID from SFDC. In SFDC the record was created in 2015 by a salesperson. In Marketo, the record was created in 2022 by form fill. It looks like at some point the Marketo record was deleted and the SFDC record maintained. When the new Marketo record was created, the sync was no longer possible for some reason and I keep getting the same error no matter what I try to do. If Marketo were able to sync to SFDC, do you think it would create a duplicate, or identify that there actually is a SFDC record and update the information?

So currently, the Marketo and the SFDC records aren't synced, right? When you sync records from Marketo to Salesforce, you run into errors as you most likely have de-duplication rules in Salesforce. The right course of action here would be to have this record sync to Marketo (Marketo does not duplicate records coming from the CRM with records already in Marketo) and then finally, merge it with the Marketo record. To answer your question, I think Marketo would create a duplicate record in SFDC even though you already have a synced/unsynced record in SFDC.

1. I have two records in Marketo and just one SFDC lead. I tried merging the two Marketo records but I get an error due to native-crm sync. I'm guessing because there aren't 2 records in SFDC to sync it's not allowing me to touch the Marketo records either. Is there anything I can do to merge the two Marketo records when I don't have 2 corresponding SFDC records?

Many thanks for your help!

You should normally be able to merge Marketo-only and contact records from Marketo, but if you're running into erros, then it could be the case that the sync user doesn't have apt permissions to convert leads. Check out this KB article on this as well: Merge fails when trying to merge a Lead with a Contact. Please let us know if you have any further questions.