Re: Schedule emails in engagement stream to send at specific intervals, not on certain days of the week

Anonymous
Not applicable

Schedule emails in engagement stream to send at specific intervals, not on certain days of the week

Hi,

Here's what I'm looking to do:

Each day Monday-Friday I will be pulling a list of new clients and sending them an introductory email as part of an onboarding program. I would then like to send them a series of four other similar emails over time, but in specific intervals of three days or seven days later, not every Wednesday or every Tuesday and Friday. Ideally it would look like this:

1. On Monday morning, I pull a list of new clients and upload it into Marketo and send the introductory email right away.

2. Send Email #2 three days later.

3. Send Email #3 three days later.

4. Send Email #4 seven days later.

5. Send Email #5 seven days later.

6. On Tuesday morning, I pull another new list from the last 24 hours and the cycle repeats.

I thought an engagement program with a nurture stream would be best, but it would not work here because they can only be scheduled for certain days of the week and there would be a lot of overlap.

I realize that I can use a smart campaign with flow steps of wait 3 days, then send Email #2, wait 3 days, then send Email #3, etc., but everything I've read said that excessive wait steps can bog down your system and should be avoided.

What's the best way to accomplish this?

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Schedule emails in engagement stream to send at specific intervals, not on certain days of the week

HI Todd,

This is a case where you should rather use a regular smart campaign with waits.

Another possibility will be to have your EP cast every day, then use some smart campaigns to pause leads between each email for the duration you want.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Interesting thought.

Irregular cadences must use flows with wait steps, and as Rachel suggests, using the Wait Until MF method, if desired.

I'm not aware of Wait Steps being a cause of slowdowns. Triggers yes.

If you build the Pauses as Greg suggests, I am 100% sure you will have problems with people going in and out at the wrong times. It will work for a bit, but it will become an issue.

And as Rachel asks, Why this Cadence? Why not leverage twice a week Engagement Sends? Much easier to keep pouring leads into that system and then using Entry/Exits.

Nurturing Your Audience the Way they Want to be Nurtured

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Josh,

my first recommendation is:

This is a case where you should rather use a regular smart campaign with waits.

-Greg

Rachel_Noble
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

There are a few workarounds for this, but out of curiosity, why do you want to use this specific cadence? Leads will end up receiving emails on weekends, which will most likely result in lower engagement rates.