How to prevent email tracking opens/clicks for specific countries?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

How to prevent email tracking opens/clicks for specific countries?

Our German marketing manager has informed us that, in Germany, you are not allowed to track who opens and clicks emails.  I know Marketo allows us to configure the settings to adhere to the browsers' do-not-track settings, but how do we turn off all tracking capability for an entire country regardless of these settings?

I'd be interested to hear from others who operate in a global organization and how they are addressing these data privacy issues.
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13

Re: How to prevent email tracking opens/clicks for specific countries?

You can set individual links to mktNoTrack in the CLASS of the URL.

I am unsure how to turn off the open beacon. I'd ask Support and post this as an Idea that you should be able to turn off tracking options by email or for the whole system.
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

How about removing the img tracking from the email, or just sending a text version of the email that you send to Germany?
Amy_Lepre
Level 7

The law doesn't say you're not allowed to track who opens and clicks emails without exceptions. See end of page 29 & page 30 on this document: https://certified-senders.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Marketing-Directive.pdf  So basically you can track it if you don't use personal data, otherwise you have to get consent. 
Dan_Stevens_

Wouldn't any email tracking be considered "personal data" since we're able to track "who" opens/clicks?  It's not anonymous.