SOLVED

Re: Advanced template development - where's the manual?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advanced template development - where's the manual?

Hi, I'm working out new landing pages for our company and I'm trying to find an overview of all the dynamic elements we can use here. Also best practises for making a landing page responsive rather than overwriting all the dynamic styling in a custom css (or is this really the only way?)

For example, I'm trying to find out if it is possible to include the form in a fixed position rather than using the WYSIWYG editor to put it in place?

Thanks in advance for any tips/pointers!
Jerry 
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

Hey Jerry! I like where your brain is going. 

Here are some I've done lots of reverse-engineering of the landing page. Here are some things I've written on the topics:   
Also, we're coming out with new responsive Marketo landing page templates in a few weeks, which will include all the latest and greatest tips and tricks. You can pre-request them here.

Re: the form specifically and tokens.

You can take the embed code of a form 2.0 and put that into a text token for pages. That will work, but you'll be losing some of the better functionality for native forms on the landing page editor—your "fills out form on web page" constraint won't work and you won't have native form prefill. It basically changes to an external form 2.0 on your native landing page. 

I like to use the native form element on the landing page placed via double div HTML element, and then tokenize the URL for the follow-up page. Here's a screencap:

0EM50000000SrLz.jpg
0EM50000000SrM4.jpg

This way (with everything tokenized), when you make a new landing page, you don't even have to open the landing page WYSIWYG editors at all, just change the tokens and approve the URLs.

If you want a beta preview of the landing page templates in their not-yet-pure form, you can find me on Twitter or shoot me a message. The final templates will be out in a few weeks. 

Best,

Edward Unthank | Founder, Etumos

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Jerry,

There's no definitive manual on this. I know there are various discussions on specific issues. You can also look at how existing templates work on templates.marketo.com or search google for how to make responsive emails/pages.

As for the form, you will need to drop it into the editor and tell it where to stay with some custom html or element positioning. You can control this more if you use the embed code on a non marketo page. You may be able to extract the code to force the template to do things, but I don't know how well that works.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer Josh. Do you now if it would be possible to add the form element to a token? Maybe elements like forms, rich text, etc have IDs which can be called through tokens and implement those inside a template?
Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

Hey Jerry! I like where your brain is going. 

Here are some I've done lots of reverse-engineering of the landing page. Here are some things I've written on the topics:   
Also, we're coming out with new responsive Marketo landing page templates in a few weeks, which will include all the latest and greatest tips and tricks. You can pre-request them here.

Re: the form specifically and tokens.

You can take the embed code of a form 2.0 and put that into a text token for pages. That will work, but you'll be losing some of the better functionality for native forms on the landing page editor—your "fills out form on web page" constraint won't work and you won't have native form prefill. It basically changes to an external form 2.0 on your native landing page. 

I like to use the native form element on the landing page placed via double div HTML element, and then tokenize the URL for the follow-up page. Here's a screencap:

0EM50000000SrLz.jpg
0EM50000000SrM4.jpg

This way (with everything tokenized), when you make a new landing page, you don't even have to open the landing page WYSIWYG editors at all, just change the tokens and approve the URLs.

If you want a beta preview of the landing page templates in their not-yet-pure form, you can find me on Twitter or shoot me a message. The final templates will be out in a few weeks. 

Best,

Edward Unthank | Founder, Etumos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Edward,

Thanks for this super clear answer! I'm delighted that this is actually possible. Despite losing some fucntionality this is still a much better solution plus it allows me to properly design my landing pages!

Thanks a mill!!
Jerry