- Create custom PPC fields to capture the PPC information
- Add those fields as hidden fields to the Marketo form(s); configure the hidden fields to get their value from the URL Parameters
- Add parameters to your destination links in Google AdWords ads using static values or ValueTrack parameters; you can use the Marketo or Google URL builder to simplify this
- If your PPC strategy is to capture original PPC source, then the custom PPC fields need to be configured to block field updates.
- If your PPC strategy is to capture the most recent PPC source, then you can use the default configuration (i.e. fields not blocked from updates).
- Enter PPC program period (monthly) cost information
- Create the custom fields in Salesforce.com on both the lead and contact object, making sure they map from lead to contact. The custom fields will sync over to Marketo mapped 2 Salesforce.com fields to 1 Marketo field.
- For instructions to create Salesforce.com custom fields, please reference Salesforce.com knowledgebase or work with your Salesforce.com Administrator.
- The custom fields to be created
Campaign Source (utm_source)
Required. Use utm_source to identify a search engine, newsletter name, or other source.
Campaign Medium (utm_medium)
Required. Use utm_medium to identify a medium such as email or cost-per-click.
Campaign Term (utm_term)
Used for paid search. Use utm_term to note the keywords for this ad.
Used for keyword analysis. Use utm_campaign to identify a specific product promotion or strategic campaign. This can be used to capture the Adwords CampaignID
- Create a Marketo program (i.e. Google Adwords Program) and use a program channel (i.e. custom 'Google Adwords' channel) with 'convert' as the success progression status.Create a Marketo form with all the above custom fields on the forms as 'hidden fields' and call this 'PPC Form'
- Make sure you assign the associated period costs for this program on the setup tab. You will need to do this on a monthly basis; this is required if you want to get a 'cost per' anaylsis.
- Create a Marketo landing page and include the PPC Form on this landing page.
- Include code to get parameters from cookies
Capturing Search Engine and PPC info on Landing Pages
- For all landing pages you plan on linking your Google Adword to as the 'destination link', you need to include code to convert URL parameters value to cookies
- Add the key values and parameter tokens to the URL. In the example below, the first URL is the destination URL you want to use, and the second URL includes the URL parameters and associated values/tokens.
- When configuring your Google Ad, use the tagged URL as the destination link which takes the lead who clicks on the Google Ad to the landing page.
- The keyword and CampaignID will be passed automatically when the lead clicks through the Google Adwords ad.
- The Source (Adwords) & medium (PPC) will be passed as the values in the tagged URL