SOLVED

Email Editor Sluggish

Go to solution
Angus_McCann1
Level 3

Email Editor Sluggish

Our marketing users are noticing that the email editor is a little bit slow in our instance. Namely, adding, deleting, and moving modules around can take 10 seconds or more. This is definitely cumbersome for larger emails. I was wondering if anyone else is facing a lag with the email editor?

I will note that our instance is a little sluggish due to the number of trigger campaigns we have running at a time. We are currently working on optimizing that, changing trigger campaigns to bath campaigns where possible, however, since the Email Editor does not use/rely on database activity, I am not confident that optimizing our smart campaigns will speed up the email editor. Does anyone know if optimizing our smart campaigns to "speed up" our instance would "speed up" the Email Editor? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Roberts
Level 10

Re: Email Editor Sluggish

There might be a more general connection that if the instance is running slow, the editor would also run slow -- but probably b/c of something on the server side and not necessarily with the processing of campaigns. We work in and out of a bunch of different instances and I've definitely noticed that some are more "slow prone" than others and some seem to always have bad days.

In terms of speeding up the email editor specifically, it could have something to do with how the emails are coded and how much processing is required to re-render the canvas after each update. For example, if you're using variables inside an editable area (that are exposed when you click the "Edit HTML") I'd expect that to run slower than if you didn't have the variables exposed. There are other considerations like image sizes and overall size of the email (for something like a newsletter with a bunch of modules, or verbose code).You might just try refreshing the browser when it starts to "clog up" or slow down.

Especially when the instance is running slowly, you've really got to slow down when making edits and make sure that Marketo is updating in between actions -- I've run into this kind of thing when Im working too quickly and the editor isn't keeping up with all my clicks/edits. In that case a refresh will usually get me back to where I left off, but might not save everything I just updated. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dave_Roberts
Level 10

There might be a more general connection that if the instance is running slow, the editor would also run slow -- but probably b/c of something on the server side and not necessarily with the processing of campaigns. We work in and out of a bunch of different instances and I've definitely noticed that some are more "slow prone" than others and some seem to always have bad days.

In terms of speeding up the email editor specifically, it could have something to do with how the emails are coded and how much processing is required to re-render the canvas after each update. For example, if you're using variables inside an editable area (that are exposed when you click the "Edit HTML") I'd expect that to run slower than if you didn't have the variables exposed. There are other considerations like image sizes and overall size of the email (for something like a newsletter with a bunch of modules, or verbose code).You might just try refreshing the browser when it starts to "clog up" or slow down.

Especially when the instance is running slowly, you've really got to slow down when making edits and make sure that Marketo is updating in between actions -- I've run into this kind of thing when Im working too quickly and the editor isn't keeping up with all my clicks/edits. In that case a refresh will usually get me back to where I left off, but might not save everything I just updated. 

Angus_McCann1
Level 3

Thanks, Dave! I figured it could be related, but was not necessarily the case. Our emails are a little larger than we would like, but I just wanted some back-up before I ask other users to start changing their processes.