Fall Release: Sending emails based on recipient timezone!

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Fall Release: Sending emails based on recipient timezone!

I just saw the Fall release notes and noticed that one of the most popular feature requests is finally happening:

pastedImage_0.png

This is especially significant for those of us who operate globally (or even across the US, given the multiple time zones).  Today, we're forced to build complex engagement programs in each country workspace - primarily due to time zone differences.  With this feature enabled, we'll now be able to create global engagement programs (while leveraging personalization/segmentation to apply any localization if necessary (translated content, etc.).  [EDIT: this isn't as significant of an enhancement as we thought, since it will only be active in Email Send programs and Engagement Programs with individual emails (not child/default programs that contain basic "email send" smart campaigns)]

Question for the product team: when will this be deployed in everyone's instance?  Is it on a specific date or gradually during a specific timeframe?

Justin Cooperman

22 REPLIES 22
Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Re: Fall Release: Sending emails based on recipient timezone!

I cant wait for this feature.

Will cut the need for wait steps and scrambling around www.timeanddate.com trying to work out time zones.

Dave_Cunningham
Level 4

We are excited about this one as well. I'm interested in learning exactly how Marketo will determine local time zones. Will it be based on a lead's country/city or something else in the back-end? I'm also wondering if this functionality can be turned on/off at a global level and per email? There may be times that every recipient should receive an email right away.

Josh_Hill13

I suspect it will be based on previous engagement or Country/State. Mailchimp uses the recipient's server and click data to determine the person's time zone.

ChristinaZuniga

Josh Hill​ you're a level 10?! Did Marketo send you a gift bag for making it beyond their highest level on the community?!

Josh_Hill13

lol. haven't heard from them.

ChristinaZuniga

I saw your blog post and thought to myself "Nooooo!" because I tag you (and Sanford) in things I need help on, so I'm sad to hear you're pulling back from the Community, but I get it. I hope you'll still speak at Summit, you have a lot of knowledge to share!

Meghana Rao​​ or Shea Cibulsky​​ - Josh made it to 300,000 points! There should be a celebration or some sort of account change so that it doesn't say level 10, it's just a gold star. No wait! A purple star .

Meghana_Rao1
Marketo Employee

Josh Hill, that's awesome! Christina Zuniga, as of now, I don't believe we have anything set up for point levels on Community, but I think that's a great idea and we'll look into it! Thank you both for being amazing Marketo advocates!

ChristinaZuniga

I'm so ready for this functionality! Thanks for bringing this topic up Dan, I'm hoping it rolls out before the end of Jan.

Dan_Stevens_

I hope so too - since January is the dead of winter (not Fall)! 😉