SOLVED

Campaign<>Landing Page<>URL Parameters.

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Campaign<>Landing Page<>URL Parameters.

Hi All,

Currently we have campaigns pertaining to one landing page spread across several channels. For eg.- www.babajob.com/hire-easy-hire-fast?utm_source=(facebook/google adwrods/etc.)&utm_medium=(cpc/etc.)

Going forward we want to run and track these campaigns in our Marketo instance.

We wanted a setting in a way that we have a landing page stored in Marketo. We then create programs/campaigns such that we can select this Landing Page, select the utm_source (from a picklist preferably) , then select the utm_medium(again from a picklist/dropdown) and then finally starting the campaign. Upon activating the program/campaign, we can then track the leads coming in through the landing page separately as per the utm_source and umt_medium or any other URL parameters that we may append to the landing page URL.

Also, do we need to extensively create landing pages in Marketo to be able to achieve the above functionality or using an external landing page will also do?

It would be really helpful and a great learning experience if you guys help me out with it.

Thanks a lot everyone

-Prabash.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Julie_Colwell1
Level 5

Re: Campaign<>Landing Page<>URL Parameters.

Hi Prabash,

I posed a similar question to this awhile back, asking to track partner URLs and other dynamic URLs. The answer that was provided had really good instructions on how to set it up in Marketo. In the instructions below, both the form and landing page are created it Marketo.

Create Landing Page URL for Partner Tracking in events and webinars

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Julie

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

I would recommend creating the landing pages in Marketo. If you are using non-marketo landing pages, you will have to capture these values from the URL, and send to MKTO on form submission.

Sanford Whiteman​ may be able to recommend a better solution.

Julie_Colwell1
Level 5

Hi Prabash,

I posed a similar question to this awhile back, asking to track partner URLs and other dynamic URLs. The answer that was provided had really good instructions on how to set it up in Marketo. In the instructions below, both the form and landing page are created it Marketo.

Create Landing Page URL for Partner Tracking in events and webinars

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Julie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the awesome suggestion and guidance !

I created a form with utm_source and utm_medium as hidden fields , with autofill as URL Parameter with parameter names as utm_source and utm_medium respectively and named the form URL Parameters Test

I then built a LP wherein I used that form and then selected the option to build the URL where in I entered the utm_source = webinar and utm_medium = cpc and updated the LP URL which finally looked like this :

http://na-ab14.marketo.com/lp/986-CHE-519/URL-Parameter-Test-LP.html?utm_source=webinar&utm_medium=c...

I then created a program with two local assets :

(1) Created a list named URL Parameters Test Leads

(2) Smart Campaign  - Here in the Smart List Rule, I used a Fills out Form trigger with 'Form Name is URL Parameters Test' and selected the Referrer option from Constraint and set it it like 'Referrer is Webinar' and in the Flow Rule, I then used Add To List where 'List is URL Parameters Test Leads'.

I then used the above URL link in my browser , the LP loaded with the utm_source and other parameters. Thereafter I filled out the form, but nothing was processed in the Smart Campaign. It still displays, 0 leads have been processed.

Could you kindly suggest, where am I going wrong to be able to view the desired results, which is basically the leads that fill the form out.

Thanks again !

-Prabash.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

(2) Smart Campaign  - Here in the Smart List Rule, I used a Fills out Form trigger with 'Form Name is URL Parameters Test' and selected the Referrer option from Constraint and set it it like 'Referrer is Webinar' and in the Flow Rule, I then used Add To List where 'List is URL Parameters Test Leads'. 

You didn't set the Referrer to "webinar."

You set the lead field utm_source to "webinar."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

Yeah, thats right. I am actually setting the custom field utm_source to webinar.

What should be my Smart List Rule in this case then, to be able to see those who have filled up the form ?

Thanks !

-Prabash.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

A filter on the Lead Attribute.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

It works now

I set a filter on my 'utm_source is webinar' and am able to track the lead that filled up the form.

Thanks a lot !

-Prabash.

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Hi Prabash,

I built this system out for our instance, but instead of using URL parameters, I worked off of cookies so that we could credit a medium even if a lead landed on a page but then went to another and downloaded the asset there. It's a corner case, but made our lead tracking absolutely bullet proof.

The way I built this out was by first modifying all the forms to read off of the cookie instead of URL parameters. Next, I had custom javascript written and added to all Marketo landing pages and corporate website pages. Finally, I built a URL builder for my team to use where they could plug in the URL they want to share externally and it would provide them with a variety of options to use, formatted as the URL should be.