Anonymous
Not applicable

Would these transition rules work?

I've got 3 streams set up in an engagement program

XXPROGRAM

Stream 1

Stream 2

Stream 3

I want my leads to pass through Stream 1 initially - this stream will be interrupted and they will be moved to a different campaign stream (they could have received 1 - 4 emails in the stream) Once the campaign stream concludes I want to add the leads back into Stream 1 to continue from where they've left off. (i.e. Email 3 received - Email 4 would be sent next) The method to returning a lead to Stream 1 would be Add to Engagement Program - XXPROGRAM this would return the lead to Stream 1 if they've been added to the program so long as "Added to Engagement Program - XXPROGRAM" was the trigger for transition rule.

If the lead has exhausted from Stream 1 - I would like them to return from a campaign and go into stream 2 content. Would my transition rules stay the same for the method to return the lead to the program, and then the transition rules for Stream 2 would be - Trigger: Added to Engagement Program: XXPROGRAM, filter - email was sent - email 4

This would mean they were added back into the program, and if they were sent the last email in stream 1, they would start in stream 2.

When moving from 2 to 3 the transition rule would be the same, except it instead of email 4 it would be email 8, or whatever the end of Stream 2 is.

Am I doing this correctly? - would these transition rules make the leads continue down their process?

If the lead exhausts from a Stream 1, I'm alright with them not moving anywhere until they are re-added to the engagement program at a later date.

I just want to make sure the leads are continuing through the XXPROGRAM streams - not missing any of the emails. Is there a better method of ensuring the leads continue through the stream process I may be overlooking? If I add a lead back to an engagement program, and they've already received 1 - 2 emails in Stream 1, will they start to receive email 3, or will they start from email 1 again? I looked into the docs.marketo.com to find more info about the transition rules Transition Leads Between Engagement Streams - Marketo Docs - Product Docs​ I couldn't find anything with the sort of method I'm trying to set up.

Any help / insight would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Would these transition rules work?

I'm a little unclear about how you want to structure this. There are several ways.

1. Stream 1 Leads get Paused when the interruption occurs. What is this interruption??
    1. Stream 1 Leads then become unpaused when you are ready again. They will start in the same place.
  2. Change Stream - you can use this to move Stream 1 Leads to another Stream. Then you can move them back and they will begin where they left off.

I see no reason to use a trigger. Batch campaigns scheduled carefully around the Cadences work well and reduce system load. At no time should you ever kick a Lead out of the Program.

Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Josh, do we have the option to pause the cadence for a lead in an engagement program at stream level? I believe teh cadence will be paused for the entire program. However, it would be a good idea to move the leads from Stream 1 to Stream 2, and then when required, trigger them to move back to Stream 1 from where they left off.

Chad March

You can create a series of smart campaigns to transition leads across different streams, and move them back and forth. Also, if you add a lead back to an engagement program, and they've already received 1 - 2 emails in Stream 1, they will receive email 3 and not the emails they have already received

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Josh,

Thanks for your response. Basically #2 is the approach

Stream 1 leads get moved to a report launch stream (8 weeks of emails). They would leave the XXPROGRAM engagement program to enter the REPORTLAUNCH engagement program - once they exhaust from this (or engage with content) they will be moved back to XXPROGRAM and pick up where they left off on the email stream - if they have exhausted their initial email stream they would start from the second one.

I use the trigger for the transition rule because the if the lead is added to the program again after completing a report launch stream, and they hit the trigger and associated filter they would move to the 2nd steam or 3rd stream.