Re: Why do some leads sync with Salesforce and others don't?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do some leads sync with Salesforce and others don't?

We created a simple email campaign that sends out one email to a specific group of leads. We uploaded an Excel spreadsheet to create the smartlist, and also to update some information for our leads (title, salutation etc.). 

Most changes introduced by the spreadsheet were subsequently synced to Salesforce. There are a few leads, however, that did not sync with Salesforce. I checked the activity log of two separate leads that both had their middle name changed through the spreadsheet, one of them was synced with SF the other one was not. Any idea why this is happening? 

Any help on this is much appreciated. Please let me know if you need more information.

Arne

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure the formatting of fields like phone number and email is correct. If for example one of the leads have a phone number that doesn't comply with the field validation norms in salesforce (e.g. it contains letters) then salesforce will reject those leads. I was running into the same issues with Forms, they need to be validated as well.

Hope this helps.

Gerko
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Gergo,

thank you for your reply. I think this is a great theory but I'm not sure if this applies here. I checked the format for these fields and they are consistent across all contacts that are part of the campaign. 

Out of curiosity: if Salesforce rejects a snyc because of one of the issues outlined by you, is the sync still listed in the activity log (as a failed sync)? or does it not show up at all?

Getting back to my issue: I noticed that there is more than one lead in my campaign that was not synced with SF. The one thing these leads have in common: they were all previously synced to SF (the sync, however, occured long before I ran the campaign). The leads that were synced after I ran the campaign were never synced with SF before. 

Still, we made changes to both types of leads during the campaign, but only one set was synced with SF. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've run into some issues where the SFDC record type had been hard coded to the Marketo lead and that record type had become invalidated by the CRM.  Perhaps you have a hard linkage to SFDC that is misfiring? 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Arne,

In the activity log of the lead that did not sync to salesforce is there a sync to SFDC action? If there is no action then the lead did not meet the critera of the campaigns that you have set up to sync a new lead from Marketo to SFDC. If the lead does have a sync lead action in its log and it failed due to a validation rule or some other SFDC rejection then there should be a Failed message beside the sync action in the log.

Maybe you can grab a screenshot of the the leads activity log and post it here so that we can see. Or you can log a case with support.

Rgs,
Cathal
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Chris and Cathal for your answers. I will look into the 'hard coded' idea a little bit more but I don't think this applies here as both leads are basically the same: They were both created the same way, all fields are set the same way etc. 

I attached two screenshots to further illustrate the issue. As you can see, both leads were created as part of our initial SF sync. 

Then, 3 months later, both were included in a email campaign. A spreadsheet upload with updated data changed the middle name initial for both contacts. The change for one lead was synced with SF following the campain, the other lead was never synced. 

Please note: we have no "sync lead to SF" step in our workflow for the campaign. The only workflop step of the campaign is "send email." So I assume that one person was grabbed by the global sync, the other one was not. 

Any help is much appreciated!

0EM50000000QRJP.jpg

0EM50000000QRJU.jpg