SOLVED

Why can't we use Email Script tokens in Flow steps?

Go to solution
Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

Why can't we use Email Script tokens in Flow steps?

Hi community,

What I'm trying to do is locate the Opportunity number into a Data Value so I can later use that to loop through all open opportunities and find the correct one. Once I've got the opportunity I can then retrieve all information on that record.

The campaign will run over multiple weeks and if a new opportunity pops up, I still want to use the old one. I've managed to create the email scripting in Velocity, but apparently I'm running into Marketo problems.

Anyone have an idea why we can't use Email Scripting tokens in Change Data Value flow steps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Why can't we use Email Script tokens in Flow steps?

Hi Stijn,

Email scripting tokens work because the email gets sent through a processor when it gets built, and before it gets sent out.  Flow steps do not get processed like this, so running scripts in a flow step is not possible.

John

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Stijn,

Email scripting tokens work because the email gets sent through a processor when it gets built, and before it gets sent out.  Flow steps do not get processed like this, so running scripts in a flow step is not possible.

John

Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

Thanks John!

Would love to read up on the way emails and triggers are processed differently. Is that public knowledge?

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Stijn,

Email Script Tokens are designed to only be used in Emails. You won't be able to use them in Change Data Value flow steps at all. The Script Tokens live within MyTokens, which are housed inside of the programs. They act much differently than normal tokens on the back end because of this and so their functionality is limited just to within emails

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Stijn,

If you are using a CRM, what don't you perform this computation in the CRM? It will have all the necessary data. It might require some dev, but in salesforce, a new feature called business builder may enable you to achieve this without dev.

-Greg

Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

Thanks Greg!

We're trying to get this done inside the program, since that makes most sense. Too bad there are limitations to every system.