SOLVED

Re: When to choose visible/invisible preview text?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to choose visible/invisible preview text?

Is there a good best practice of when to use invisible preview/snippet text and when to make it visible?

Looks like O'Reilly's data newsletter has the preview text visible, for example:

pastedImage_0.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

We do both in our emails. Our emails that are more simple templates we keep it hidden vs. our more HTML emails with on CTA we add it in as visible.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Katarine,

I would always suggest you use preheader text if you have an image or link up top. I use it with my team so that when you are previewing the email or on mobile you have a teaser to increase opens. In the past agencies I have worked with strongly advised that you always include preheader text.

Regards,
Kelley

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I want to add preview text. The question is, should it be visible only in the preview section or when someone opens the email should they see it also?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

We do both in our emails. Our emails that are more simple templates we keep it hidden vs. our more HTML emails with on CTA we add it in as visible.

Kim_Allen
Level 10

Hi Katharine,

As a personal preference I like the invisible pre headers. Yes, it does take a little more time in Marketo (initially just the coding into the template) but then you edit it as a normal editable section.

I think that it gives you even more area to promote your product (use a different line, make it catchy, get creative) and isn't so redundant on the desktop when you can see the preheader both in the preview and the actual email. It also gives you more flexibility in your templates to not have that line of text impacting how your banners, copy, etc. are placed. I know as a consumer who gets many an email I personally like that better.

Kim

Anonymous
Not applicable

How does one add preheader text?

Harish_Munagala
Level 1

Hi Sarah, this link has all the details to get started with pre-header text. What are Email Preheaders and how to use them | Campaign Monitor

Best,

Harish

Harish_Munagala
Level 1

Did anyone run into the risk of email getting marked as spam because of using hidden preheader / preview text? I tried several options with CSS but the text was still showing up on Gmail. So I decided to use Font color same as background color but I'm sure that increases spam risk.

email - Can hidden preheader text affect e-mail spam score / deliverability? - Stack Overflow

Let me know if anyone else came across this issue.

Thanks,

Harish