What makes a field eligible for a constraint in SFDC Campaign triggers and campaigns?

Nancy_Rosentha4
Level 2

What makes a field eligible for a constraint in SFDC Campaign triggers and campaigns?

I am trying to add a standard Campaign field, Campaign Type, as an Add Constraint to either an SFDC Trigger, ex "Added to SFDC Campaign" or an SFDC filter, ex. "Member of SFDC Campaign", but I don't know what makes a Campaign field eligible to be a constraint. Ultimately, I would like to filter out Campaigns of a specific Campaign Type (Standard SFDC Campaign object field)

Please advise.  Thanks so much.

Nancy Rosenthal
4 REPLIES 4
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: What makes a field eligible for a constraint in SFDC Campaign triggers and campaigns?

I like the idea. Not sure if it can be done though.

While you can specify constraints and triggers on SF custom objects via the schema, there is nowhere I've seen that allows that control on the SF Campaign object. 

Hope I'm wrong since that would be useful.

Veronica_Holme4
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: What makes a field eligible for a constraint in SFDC Campaign triggers and campaigns?

Hi Nancy... the answer here is a bit "it depends", and it can be done but only if it is set up in a certain way for a specific scenario.

By default, the 1:1 Marketo Program - Salesforce Campaign sync does sync the Campaign Type field - when  you create a Salesforce campaign from Marketo and sync it at the program level, it actually populates the Campaign Type with the Marketo program channel value. Plus, it only syncs once, one way from Marketo to Salesforce. So you can access certain Campaign Types by filtering by program channel (very odd I know), and it only works in this specific scenario.

If you are just trying to use Salesforce campaigns to build lists and use the campaign type as a constraint it unfortunately currently isn't available. That value doesn't come across to Marketo.

sparashar
Level 2

Hi there. is it possible to add a custom field in the campaign object as a constraint?

SP
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I think you should be using SFDC Campaign Member object fields mapped with the Program Member Custom fields in Marketo for filtering people based on their campaign member attributes. Filtering people (i.e., using a constraint) based on campaign fields doesn't make a lot of sense as the campaign object isn't connected with the lead/contact records directly, and Marketo Smart Campaigns operate on people records. Read about it in this Marketing Nation post.