What is the usage of "Campaign is Requested" trigger action?

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

What is the usage of "Campaign is Requested" trigger action?

Hello,

May I know what is the usage of "Campaign is Requested" trigger action in Smart List.

I could see, it have the following source values to choose

1. Marketo Flow Action

2. Sales Insight

3. Web Service API

Thought it is just a flow step which push the leads into another campaign but doesn't find an option to choose targeted campaign. Please help.

Thanks.

-Anand

8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: What is the usage of "Campaign is Requested" trigger action?

Hi Anand,

Once you have set the trigger, the smart campaign in which the trigger is will be "callable" from other places, either from another smart campaign (chooce "marketo flow action"), from MSI (choose "MSI") or from an API call. You will also need to activate the smart campaign to make it work.

If you want to call this callable smart campaign from another one, go to the other one and add a "request campaign" flow step in the flow. Then you will have to choose one the activated campaigns  with a "campaign is requested" trigger, as here:

pastedImage_0.png

-Greg

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Hi Gregoire,

Thanks for your information.

May I ask you in what scenario I might need this? Couldn't understand how it works.

-Anand

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

2 scenarios from the top of my mind:

Scenario 1: you have an ongoing triggered campaign and you would like to replay it for the whole or part or you database, on a regular basis. Instead of duplicating it, you just add this trigger to it. Then you create a batch campaign which sole flow step will be to call the trigger one. Advantage: if you want to modify the trigger campaign flow, you do not have to care about the batch one (which would not be the case if you had duplicated the trigger into a batch). We do this when we want to recompute a demographic score after changing the rules for instance.

Scenario 2: you want to to drive leads to 2 different drip campaigns based on a criteria, after a common first drip campaign. your drip 2.A and 2.B are created with this trigger. in the drip 1.A, you add a "request campaign" flow step with a choice. If XXX request 2.A, default: request 2.B

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you ever used a campaign that is triggered from a "Web ServiceAPI"? We have connected Marketo to a newly purchased sales enablement tool through a web service api however, the email is not sending when the order is created.  Anyone have any ideas?

- Trenise

Rachel_Noble
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Another place we use this frequently revolves around webhooks. Marketo webhooks only work in triggered campaigns, so if you want to include a webhook in a batch campaign (like in a nurture stream, for example), you can set up a batch campaign that "requests" the webhook campaign.

Michaela_Iery3
Marketo Employee

Yes, I use this one quite a lot with my clients who leverage webhooks. Sometimes the webhook needs to result from a batch campaign which, as you noted, won't work. I use this as a "handoff" basically to the webhook smart campaign.

I tend to think of Campaign is requested as kind of an easy "hand off" from one smart campaign to another.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Another example of where is can be useful is when you want to send the same batch to 2 leads that have a the same emails. A send email in a flow step in a batch campaign will deduplicates on email address and, in 2 leads happen to have the same email address, only the lead with the lowest ID will get  the email.

But if you add the send email to a triggered campaign with the "campaign is requested" trigger and you call it from the batch, both leads will get the email.

-Greg

Michaela_Iery3
Marketo Employee

Tricky - I like it!