SOLVED

Website url being pulled from email domain?

Go to solution
Angela_Cirrone3
Level 2

Website url being pulled from email domain?

Hello,

I have noticed that the website url is being pulled from the email domain of any leads that are being created in SFDC. We are looking to see where the leads are originating from to try to determine what is causing this to happen. Our SFDC admin cannot find a workflow that is auto filling the values, and I do not see anything obvious in Marketo. Has anyone had this similar situation? If so, what triggered the website to pull from the email domain?

The piece that tells me this is happening from a flow or trigger is that domains like gmail and yahoo do not become a person's website address. It seems like it's an exclusion.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Angela

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mark_Price
Level 7

Re: Website url being pulled from email domain?

Hi Angela,

Marketo pulls the website from email domain on it's own 'for your convenience'.  It does have exclusion rules but some sites like 'outlook.com' still make it in.

Website Same as Email Domain

If thats an issue, you can make a webhook that does a better job and sets a custom field.  Doing it this way you can also validate emails much more robustly.

hope it helps!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Check the log history on SFDC and Marketo. I believe in some situations there is a default that does this. But often there's apex code to do this in SFDC.

Angela_Cirrone3
Level 2

Thanks Josh. I have been unable to uncover any apex code.

What I am able to deduce is that when the a new lead is created and pushed from Marketo to SFDC the website is already populated.

Here is the information I filled out in a form:

pastedImage_0.png

When the lead is pushed to SFDC through "Sync lead to SFDC" activity this is what is sent over:

pastedImage_1.png

I also am able to see this happened with leads that were added to Marketo as a list upload.

Could this be set up in the Marketo to SFDC sync rules or do you think it's a default?

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Hey Angela,

Have you tried pulling a smart list of people whose "Website" value has recently been updated? What is happening in their activity log when the change is occurring?

pastedImage_0.png

Mark_Price
Level 7

Hi Angela,

Marketo pulls the website from email domain on it's own 'for your convenience'.  It does have exclusion rules but some sites like 'outlook.com' still make it in.

Website Same as Email Domain

If thats an issue, you can make a webhook that does a better job and sets a custom field.  Doing it this way you can also validate emails much more robustly.

hope it helps!

Angela_Cirrone3
Level 2

Thank you Mark. This is helpful.