Re: Webhook for external form?

Dipika_Rang
Level 2

Webhook for external form?

Hi Folks,

What would be the best way to post data from a Marketo form submission to a non- Marketo form on another platform? To be more specific, as an example, I would like a form submission on this page:

https://pages.brainshark.com/TEST-ONBOARDING-EXPERIENCE.html

(a Marketo form)

to result in a form submission on this page:

http://www.brainshark.com/trainandcoach/register/1?8901946

(a non-Marketo form)

I believe a webhook might be an option here, but I want to confirm before I go down that path. If there's a better way to do this, or if there are other factors I need to be aware of, can someone please provide some guidance? I am not a developer, so please keep that in mind when responding:)

Your help is much appreciated!

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

A webhook will be fine for this case.

Your template would look like

txtCompanyId=2770814&txtDestination=0&txtDestinationUrl=&txtPrototypeUserId=8901946&bSubmitted=1&hidSubmitAddAnother=&hidDistrType=&txtFirst={{lead.First Name}}&txtLast={{lead.Last Name}}&txtEmail={{lead.Email Address}}&txtEmailConf={{lead.Email Address}}&txtTitle=&txtDept=&txtUserCompanyName={{company.Company Name}}&txtPhone={{lead.Phone Number}}&txtAddress1={{lead.Address}}&txtCity={{lead.City}}&txtState={{lead.State}}&txtPostalCode={{lead.Postal Code}}&txtUsername={{lead.Email Address}}&bAutoLogin=0

And the Request Token Encoding is Form/Url, method is POST.

The only time a webhook can't be used for a standard (that is, x-www-form-urlencoded) form POST is when the server requires some sort of session authentication. This isn't usually the case with lead gen forms because of the nature of the interaction. (It also should be noted, if authentication were required, a cross-origin post entirely from the browser wouldn't work for the same reason.)

By the way, your second form on www.brainshark.com has broken email validation. It does not allow any TLD longer than 6 characters, which isn't compatible with millions of domains.

Dipika_Rang
Level 2

@SanfordWhiteman Thank you for your response! This is super helpful. I see you tested it on your end as well:) 

Does this look right to you? I had it set up a bit differently earlier (just the form fields, none of the other query strings). Also, if I have hidden Marketo form fields with default values being submitted, can I add those in below or would I need to configure anything differently? Really appreciate your help with this!

Payload Template:
txtCompanyId=2770814&txtDestination=0&txtDestinationUrl=&txtPrototypeUserId=8901946&bSubmitted=1&hidSubmitAddAnother=&hidDistrType=&txtFirst={{lead.First Name}}&txtLast={{lead.Last Name}}&txtEmail={{lead.Email Address}}&txtEmailConf={{lead.Email Address}}&txtTitle=&txtDept=&txtUserCompanyName={{company.Company Name}}&txtPhone={{lead.Phone Number}}&txtAddress1={{lead.Address}}&txtCity={{lead.City}}&txtState={{lead.State}}&txtPostalCode={{lead.Postal Code}}&txtUsername={{lead.Email Address}}&bAutoLogin=0

Request Token Encoding:
Form/Url
Request Type:
None

THANK YOU!

Dipika

SanfordWhiteman

That looks fine but I would use the https:// version of the URL.

You can add whatever additional fields ({{lead.}} or {{company.}} tokens) you want, if you know the corresponding txt* name on your other system.

Dipika_Rang
Level 2

@SanfordWhiteman I made the url change as you suggested; however the form submission doesn't seem to be working. Any tips on troubleshooting? 

I also relayed the information on the TLD limitations to our app team. Thanks for pointing that out!

SanfordWhiteman

Need more info. What is the result of the Call Webhook?

Dipika_Rang
Level 2

Thanks for the prompt response and help! Really appreciate it! Here's what I get:

Choice Number:
Pay Load:
txtCompanyId=2770814&txtDestination=0&txtDestinationUrl=&txtPrototypeUserId=8901946&bSubmitted=1&hidSubmitAddAnother=&hidDistrType=&txtFirst=Dipika&txtLast=Rang&txtEmail=dipika_rang%40myemaildomain.com&txtEmailConf=dipika_rang%40myemaildomain.com&txtTitle=&txtDept=&txtUserCompanyName=Brainshark+Inc&txtPhone=8572000000&txtAddress1=NONE&txtCity=NONE&txtState=NONE&txtPostalCode=NONE&txtUsername=dipika_rang%40myemaildomain.com&bAutoLogin=0
Url:
Webhook Id:
Webhook Name:
Brainshark Form Submission
Request Type:
http_post
Step ID:
Source:
Marketo Flow Action
Response:
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE> <NOSCRIPT><META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=/systemcheck/ErrorNoScript.htm"></NOSCRIPT></HEAD> <BODY onload="document.frmStart.submit();"> <FORM NAME="frmStart" action="https://www.brainshark.com/brainshark/public/SSReg/default.asp?UserId=8901946" METHOD="POST"> <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="txtCompanyID" VALUE="2770814"> <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="txtDestination" VALUE="0"> </FORM></BODY></HTML>
Person ID:
Response Code: