Visited Web Page Activity Not Logged when Email Clicked

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Visited Web Page Activity Not Logged when Email Clicked

Hi Roxanne,
Thanks so much for the input. It could explain the behavior I'm seeing - especially since the click is immediately on the send. The company has very recently done extensive work to improve deliverability by removing inactive leads and using a 3rd party to identify spam traps and removing them as well. Hopefully this will help.
Sheila

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Roxann,

A lot of good insights on this thread.

Up until today, I was under the assumption that if we email to a lead/contact who is already in the system and has never filled out a form  to get cookied -

1. Marketo with the help of mkt token and munchkin will starting associating the email clicks and visits to an anonymous lead

2. When this lead finally fills out a form, Marketo will drop a cookie and then associate the information collected on the anonymous record with this "now-known" lead.

Does this still hold true? Because I am getting mixed reviews here.

Thanks & Appreciate your time!

Vishal

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

1. Marketo with the help of mkt token and munchkin will starting associating the email clicks and visits to an anonymous lead

No, the act of visiting a mkt_tok-enized link on a page that's running Munchkin (i.e. not a direct-downloaded PDF, since PDFs cannot run Munchkin) will either create+associate a cookie if none exists or associate an existing cookie.  There is no need to also fill out a form.  It wouldn't make sense to require continuous conversion. 

If a person fills out a form, that will also result in an associated cookie.

There are multiple different, but complementary paths to lead-session association.

Joey_Forcelli1
Level 5

Hey Sheila,

I recently  experienced the same thing you explained above except I was driving clicks to our homepage (munchkin tracking was enabled and firing).  What percentage of your clicks would you say were impacted by this?  We had ~60% of leads that didn't have web activity tracked.

JF

Anonymous
Not applicable

For the particular email that initially got our attention, the percentage was really staggering ~90% showed the click but not the visit. Other ones have been a lower percentage (~30%). The one with the 90% was to a fairly small number of targeted enterprise emails so it isn't totally surprising now that I understand what is happening. The key for me was realizing the clicked link activity was logging immediately after the send email.

Joey_Forcelli1
Level 5

Hey  Sheila,

Good to know.  For the email I recently deployed it was roughly 55% that weren't tracking.  Going to keep an eye on it.  Have you identified a easy method of gauging how many leads have click activity immediately after the send?

JF

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Did they do anything after the click? if you look at the activity log, is it one click or multiple clicks?

You could be triggering link-checkers in email clients. These check to see where your links redirect to prior to delivering to end users. Tell tale signs include a flurry of clicks or clicks almost immediately after delivering with no VWP.

Robb Barrett