Validation Rule Causing Error in Sync?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Validation Rule Causing Error in Sync?

We've started a SF ticket on this, but thought I'd toss this issue to the Community too - in case you guys have any wise ideas for me!

Sooo, we have two fields: Source and Lead Source Details

These used to be locked in SF, but last week we realized that somehow they had become editable once again. In SF we created a formula for a validation rule, giving editing power to only two users (Me/Marketo and the SF Admin)... in theory, these two users should be the only ones who can now alter those fields in SF. Presumably, I thought this would also allow for edits via Marketo sync/update as well. However, we realized yesterday that in the last week, since the validation rule was created, Marketo was making updates to those fields successfully... however they weren't syncing to SF, making a discrepancy between the two records (and ultimately making the SF data incorrect).

#1 - Any immediate thoughts on why this might be? We're working w. SF too... should the issue be in how the validation formula was written. But, if there's a larger issue such as... if there's ANY validation rule on a field, then Marketo won't sync, well, that would be the obvious culprit! 🙂

#2 - Could this same validation rule be somehow linked to my issue here (inconsistent error message while merging leads) :
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PZ55AAG

Thanks team! Hope to spend some time with you all at The Summit next month! - Jen
Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Validation Rule Causing Error in Sync?

What is the validation rule on the field? Validation rules don't control editing power. Maybe I'm getting hung up on semantics, but I think there's something else going on in the validation.

Our marketo user successfully edits a field with a validation rule on it (state). Our validation rule states that a new lead cannot be created unless the state field is populated. Marketo has no problem editing this field regardless of whether or not the lead is in SFDC and it syncs properly.