SOLVED

valid email is hard bounced

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

valid email is hard bounced

I have a handful of email addresses I know are valid but were flagged as hard bounced on a recent email. Why would this happen and how do I make sure these addresses are still included in future communications?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grant_Booth
Level 10

Re: valid email is hard bounced

Hi Kristi,

Marketo automatically marks a lead as "Email Invalid" when we receive a Category 2 hard bounce from their email server. It's possible that the email server is improperly configured, and is sending a Category 2 hard bounce when it should not. If you double click on the bounce activity in the lead's activity log, does it say "2" for the Category field in the popup? If not, and the address is getting marked as invalid, you should submit a support case. If it does, but you're certain the email address is valid, I recommend contacting the lead (via phone, I guess) to let them know you're receiving an incorrect bounce code when you try to email to them.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Kristi,

Sometimes, hard bounces show up as  "false-positives" due to spam filters.

More info here on soft vs. hard bounces: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KzZyCAK
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the only way to change the invalid email setting that Marketo automatically does when it's hard bounced is to manually go into each lead that was bounced and change it?
Grant_Booth
Level 10

Hi Kristi,

Marketo automatically marks a lead as "Email Invalid" when we receive a Category 2 hard bounce from their email server. It's possible that the email server is improperly configured, and is sending a Category 2 hard bounce when it should not. If you double click on the bounce activity in the lead's activity log, does it say "2" for the Category field in the popup? If not, and the address is getting marked as invalid, you should submit a support case. If it does, but you're certain the email address is valid, I recommend contacting the lead (via phone, I guess) to let them know you're receiving an incorrect bounce code when you try to email to them.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can also look at leads that have this issue and run the flow step Change Data Value Email Invalid=FALSE if you believe the lead should be reactivated.

Marketo will Email Suspend the leads for 24 hours in most cases like this.