Using webhook or API to clone automatically a program based on a form submission ?

Mathias_Saint-1
Level 2

Using webhook or API to clone automatically a program based on a form submission ?

Hello everyone,

I have a dream that one day, Programs could automatically be created in a designated folder based on the information filled in a Marketo form.

Why ? We want some people in our organization to be able to simply brief the creation of a Marketo program through a Marketo form, and on the form completion, some API manoeuver could clone automatically a program Kit, and eventually fill the copy of an email or a landing page,etc....

Is it something you already implemented ? Or do you have any ideas or suggestion on how this could be implemented (API, webhooks ?....).

Thanks for your feedback.

Mathias.

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Using webhook or API to clone automatically a program based on a form submission ?

Can you? After a fashion, yes. A Filled Out Form activity can trigger a webhook.  And the webhook-compatible service on the other side can loop back to Marketo and use the REST API to clone a program, using parameters passed to the webhook (i.e. fields on the form and/or {{program.tokens}} from the program the Smart Campaign lives in).

Should you? I don't personally think so. I would be extremely wary of using a Marketo form, which cannot be fully secured, to kick off such a sensitive process. The lack of feedback is also problematic: you have to return from the webhook before the clone is complete (cloning is not guaranteed, by a long shot, to complete under the 30s webhook limit). So you'll also have to create some method for the service to send an alert to the requester.

So it certainly is technically feasible, but given that you have to write the service anyway to manage OAuth tokens, call the Clone Program endpoint, et al. you might as well have a one-page app with a (non-Marketo) form that is actually secure to kick off the process.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Re: Using webhook or API to clone automatically a program based on a form submission ?

You're wanting to build an UI for your internal staff to clone a program. Completely possible. Nothing to do with marketo forms though.

Design and build a custom form that suits your business needs on a credential protected page and make the necessary API calls. Get a developer to do it for you.