SOLVED

Re: Using Redirect rules with utm parameters

Go to solution
James_Glavin
Level 5

Using Redirect rules with utm parameters

Hi all,

I'm making use of Marketo's redirect rules to use a short URL for a print ad to direct to the landing page. I want the resulting URL to contain utm data. In order to do this, when setting up the URL rule I have to say that I'm using a non-Marketo landing page and use the full URL, rather than just selecting the landing page from the drop down.

So the rule directs from pages.mycompany.com/neat-url to pages.mycompany.com/much-longer-and-messy-url.html?utm_source=myprintad

This seems to works fine, but my question is - is there any impact in telling Marketo that I'm redirecting to a non-Marketo page, even though it is a Marketo landing page? Do I lose any tracking data? Is this screwing anything up in the back end? Testing seems to work OK, but before I roll this out I'd love the benefit of everyone's experience!

Thanks,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's a good question, but you don't have anything to worry about here. When the Marketo-hosted LP (the target URL) is requested, Marketo is aware of its local origin and injects the correct data (i.e. inline Munchkin w/special workspace info, form PreFill JS object, etc.).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's a good question, but you don't have anything to worry about here. When the Marketo-hosted LP (the target URL) is requested, Marketo is aware of its local origin and injects the correct data (i.e. inline Munchkin w/special workspace info, form PreFill JS object, etc.).

Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

I feel like using Bitly or Owly to get a shortened URL that contains your UTM parameters may be a better method as you dont have to manage re-directs in MKTO Admin. Guess I just think it'll get hard to effectively scale managing re-directs if you use them for this purpose/this frequently....

James_Glavin
Level 5

Yes, I think that's a good suggestion - will look into this!