SOLVED

Using Marketo landing pages for display ads

Go to solution
kristalklug
Level 2

Using Marketo landing pages for display ads

Hi.

If I created a Marketo landing page, and used it for a display ad, could I see this activity in Marketo? For example, could I see in a lead's file that they clicked on the display ad that brought them to the landing page? Because this is a display ad, could I see people who are not in the Marketo database? If so, what type of marketing automation could I use in Marketo to capture those individuals and have them become a lead in my database?
Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Using Marketo landing pages for display ads

A Marketo LP will log 3rd-party analytics hits (Clicky, GA, etc.) like any other webpage.

Marketo’s analytics library, Munchkin, will log hits to the page as well. But they will be on the anonymous side of the Marketo database unless the person’s Munchkin session cookie is associated with a lead in your Marketo database. The anonymous side should be thought of as a nearly-hidden “database in waiting”; generally, you should not use Marketo to track web activity while it is still anonymous. Rather, Munchkin’s value comes when the activity — both past and future — is merged into the Activity Log of a known lead.

So if the Munchkin session is already associated with a known lead, you’ll immediately see the pageviews & clicks in their ActLog.

If the Munchkin session isn’t already associated, the pageviews & clicks will be stored anonymously for 90 days. If the person clicks a Marketo-tracked email or fills out a Marketo form in that session, whatever anonymous activities are waiting will then be added to their ActLog.

If you have other ways of determining who the anonymous person is, you can use the Marketo API to associate the cookie and create the lead in the Marketo database, which will also transfer over the ActLog entries.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Using Marketo landing pages for display ads

A Marketo LP will log 3rd-party analytics hits (Clicky, GA, etc.) like any other webpage.

Marketo’s analytics library, Munchkin, will log hits to the page as well. But they will be on the anonymous side of the Marketo database unless the person’s Munchkin session cookie is associated with a lead in your Marketo database. The anonymous side should be thought of as a nearly-hidden “database in waiting”; generally, you should not use Marketo to track web activity while it is still anonymous. Rather, Munchkin’s value comes when the activity — both past and future — is merged into the Activity Log of a known lead.

So if the Munchkin session is already associated with a known lead, you’ll immediately see the pageviews & clicks in their ActLog.

If the Munchkin session isn’t already associated, the pageviews & clicks will be stored anonymously for 90 days. If the person clicks a Marketo-tracked email or fills out a Marketo form in that session, whatever anonymous activities are waiting will then be added to their ActLog.

If you have other ways of determining who the anonymous person is, you can use the Marketo API to associate the cookie and create the lead in the Marketo database, which will also transfer over the ActLog entries.