Re: Use Tokens in Smart Campaigns - How to find instances of that token you need to delete

Colin_Ryder
Level 6 - Champion Alumni

Use Tokens in Smart Campaigns - How to find instances of that token you need to delete

Hi guys

I came across a method today of how to locate tokens used in Smart Campaigns which I know a few people have asked how to do it.

We had over 150+ tokens we use at a top level for things such as Business Units and Products.

Every year the values get updated so we have to create new tokens and/or update the values in the old tokens too (for existing campaigns).

The issue after awhile (as above) is you have hundreds of tokens - most are now redundant but you can't delete them because they are being used in an inactive campaign somewhere.

We had always struggled to find them until now.

Here's a quick guide how to find them

Go to Marketing Activities / Campaign Inspector.

ci-campaign.PNG

Select the Filter you require

ci-filters.PNG

Type in the name of the token you want to locate in the search box at the bottom and click on the search icon.

ci-search.PNG

Marketo will then show you the programs, flow actions and what step is using the token

ci-results.PNG

The easiest way here is to open the offending program in a new tab (Right Click - Open Link in New Tab).

ci-newtab.PNG

We want a new tab so you can keep your window with all the offending tokens (useful if you have more than one).

Now go into your campaign and adjust or remove the token depending on your requirements.

Click on the refresh icon at the bottom after you've finished.

Hope this helps someone out there

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Use Tokens in Smart Campaigns - How to find instances of that token you need to delete

HI Colin,

This is really cool. Thx

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm... followed the steps and no results come through - tested with numerous ACTIVE tokens. Is there an admin/treasure chest setting that needs to be flipped for this to work?

Colin_Ryder

I don't think so.

Try using "All Campaigns"

Daniel_Petrucci
Level 1

pastedImage_0.png

No luck. Any other ideas? Or can a support rep chyme in?

Colin_Ryder

I'd raise a ticket - I was able to use it today without issue

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

It's a cool trick, thanks Colin.

It seems like it will find tokens within smart lists and flow actions.. but not within assets. Is that what you're trying to find?

Anonymous
Not applicable

33a85b9341b5620508aec56163e468ce41362ce7 wrote:

It's a cool trick, thanks Colin.

It seems like it will find tokens within smart lists and flow actions.. but not within assets. Is that what you're trying to find?

Was definitely the fact that I was searching for tokens within assets. Thanks for the insight!

Is there any plan to implement functionality where the aforementioned method will be able to crawl assets as well?