SOLVED

Unsubscribe via preference center

Go to solution
Aubrey_Morgan
Level 3

Unsubscribe via preference center

I recently built a new email preference center and was wondering if I could send users here from email communications to unsubscribe, or if I need a direct unsubscribe link in the email itself. I've seen both ways done before, but just want to ensure that I'm being compliant.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unsubscribe via preference center

Aubrey,

You can absolutely send your users to a preference center (that has the unsubscribe option built in). You will just need to update the unsubcribe text that is reflected in your email footer.

Here are the steps: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LNJFCA4

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aubrey,

You can absolutely send your users to a preference center (that has the unsubscribe option built in). You will just need to update the unsubcribe text that is reflected in your email footer.

Here are the steps: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LNJFCA4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BeHai,

Your link just takes me to the new Product Docs page and not to the actual steps.  Do you have a new link to the steps?

Thanks,

Jon

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jon Moreno Looks like everything is getting moved to the new docs section. Here's the updated link: Edit the Unsubscribe Message - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aubrey,
As long as your subscription center is clear on how to unsubscribe from all emails and the verbiage in your email says that unsubscribe is possible through the link, you will be US compliant.

Are you using the Global Unsubscribe text found in Admin? You can use this feature to ensure the unsubscribe page is sent with every email.
  • if so, the out-of-box implementation sends records to "YOURLandingPage.DOMAIN.com/UnsubscribePage.html" (in Design Studio).
  • I would recommend unapproving the original page and creating a redirect rule for your subscription management page with the UnsubscribePage.html url. Then update the verbiage found in Admin to make sure it is clear.
  • This will also allow you to utilize th Unsubscribed metric when looking at email reports.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm working on a similar project. I was planning to unapprove the original unsubscribe page and change the url so that I could make the URL of the new preference center the same as the old unsubscribe page.

Is setting up a redirect rule a smarter way to handle that case?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Doug,

You could go without the redirect rule, just depends if you want to use more different urls for different purposes.

The important piece is using the original URL as it is used in a token within Global Unsubscribe. In my experience, updating the token with a new URL can break the tracking and should be avoided.