Re: Truncated URLs from Facebook Ad

Sarin
Level 3

Truncated URLs from Facebook Ad

Hi All,

The Marketo activity log is showing truncated url (Example- https://info.example.com/test.html?utm_term=test ) for some leads coming from our facebook ad

Example Url used in fb ad : https://info.example.com/test.html?utm_term=test&utm_content=test&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=cpm&utm_campaign=test   

has anyone faces this kind of issue before..

13 REPLIES 13
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Can you show the full, actual URL, copied-and-pasted from the ad itself?
Sarin
Level 3

Hi @SanfordWhiteman 

This is the actual url copied from the ad 

SanfordWhiteman

Thanks. So I do see Munchkin logging the whole query string:

2021-05-17 01_44_45-UCIC.png

I just filled out the form as teknkl+test0001@email.invalid. Can you check the last few Visit Web Page activities for that lead?

Sarin
Level 3

The complete url is showing for this test lead in the activity log..actually it is working fine for most leads only for a few leads this issue is happening..

SanfordWhiteman

Finding it hard to believe Munchkin is truncating the same payload for only some leads; the code simply doesn't have a truncation method.

Are you 100% sure there isn't another ad in circulation - maybe an incomplete rollout by someone at the agency - that doesn't have the full URL? Or some other place they're actually coming from, like an LP with the incomplete link, and not FB itself?

Sarin
Level 3

Hi @SanfordWhiteman we are running the ads in-house and we doubled check the full url is being used in the ad. Since most leads are coming through correctly and this is only an issue for a small subset, the most likely cause of this is something is stripping this information prior to the lead reaching Marketo. It seems that the UTM parameters are being removed when the leads are arriving at the landing page.

Maybe some browser specific issue, what your thoughts on this...especially this is happening with leads from Kenya and Indonesia..

SanfordWhiteman

I suppose there could be a broken proxy that tries to strip the whole query string and accidentally strips all but the first query param. Can't imagine why any software would leave the first param on purpose. 

Sarin
Level 3

Thanks a lot @SanfordWhiteman  for your valuable  feedback.

So the issue is not happening at Marketo end as we have set up everything correctly?

So it seems that it is happening when some clicks the ad on facebook and the url parameters is getting removed when the leads are arriving at the landing page so thats why Marketo is not showing the complete URL?

SanfordWhiteman

I don't see any code loaded by your page (though it could be very hard to find if it fires only under certain circumstances) that manipulates the query string in-place.

There may be some plugin used by a subset of users that mistakenly keeps only the first param. Maybe, as you said, it has something to do with the country of origin, though I don't know anything about Kenya & Indonesia in this regard. Again, such a feature doesn't have any practical purpose.