SOLVED

Trouble Merging Records and List Import Issues

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trouble Merging Records and List Import Issues

Hey everyone,

We had a few errors during a standard import caused by the recent Marketo lag, which resulted in duplicate and triplicate records.

I've gone into the Possible Duplicates System Smart List and adjusted the Smart List filters so that I can merge the duplicates and triplicates that are in the program as a result of that fated import. However, I'm unable to merge a little over 100 of those records.

After highlighting the leads, and right click selecting "merge leads" Marketo highlights the active record, I hit "merge" again and it says "System Error: Failed to merge leads" and then gives me a number (since it's a different number every time I'm assuming it's an unique id associated with the lead).

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Trouble Merging Records

Sarah, we encountered this same scenario multiple times - more so recently now that there seems to be a significant lag in list imports and when they are actually available/usable/displayable in Marketo.  What's been happening lately, is members of our ops team are importing lists, not seeing them anywhere (in Database or available when including them in a smart campaign (e.g., member of list)) and proceed to try the import again.  Of course all this does is create duplicates.  And yes, those duplicates - even though they're not synced to CRM, and only reside in Marketo - can not be merged.  You need to physically delete them.  This has become a point of frustration for my team since it now extends the time it now takes to build out and execute activities within a program.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Devraj_Grewal

Sarah,

I most often see this error when I mistakenly attempt to merge an SFDC lead with an SDC contact. If the person is in Marketo only, then you shouldn't have an issue merging it with either an SFDC lead or contact.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm, that doesn't seem to be the issue here. We couldn't find any reason (besides the Marketo error that caused the duplicates/triplicates in the first place) for them so we just deleted the extra records completely.

Thank you!

Dan_Stevens_

Sarah, we encountered this same scenario multiple times - more so recently now that there seems to be a significant lag in list imports and when they are actually available/usable/displayable in Marketo.  What's been happening lately, is members of our ops team are importing lists, not seeing them anywhere (in Database or available when including them in a smart campaign (e.g., member of list)) and proceed to try the import again.  Of course all this does is create duplicates.  And yes, those duplicates - even though they're not synced to CRM, and only reside in Marketo - can not be merged.  You need to physically delete them.  This has become a point of frustration for my team since it now extends the time it now takes to build out and execute activities within a program.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dan,

This is exactly it. We ended up manually deleting the records as well, which yea, took up a lot of time. We reached out to Marketo support, and got an upgrade pitch instead of actual help as well, which is frustrating.

Are you still experiencing issues with the lag?

Sarah

Dan_Stevens_
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Dan!

Dan_Stevens_

Just an FYI, my team is experiencing lots of list import issues today.  Seeing lots of these:

pastedImage_0.png

When hitting "cancel", Marketo shows that the list is importing:

pastedImage_1.png

And of course, since we thought the list never imported, repeated attempts were made where it finally worked - but now we have a bunch of duplicates that must be manually deleted.  And to make matter worse, only the names were imported (email, company, etc.- are all blank).

pastedImage_2.png

Another P2 ticket opened with Support...

Dan_Stevens_

Re: Trouble Merging Records and List Import Issues

Got word from Support that they were able to partially replicate this.  Basically they did a test import with just a single record.  It took over 10 minutes for the list import window to go away after clicking the "Import" button - the list did finally import.