SOLVED

Tracking Webinar Registrants that a Partner has Driven

Go to solution
Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Tracking Webinar Registrants that a Partner has Driven

Each month we co-sponsor a webinar with a partner. We'd like to know which registrants they are responsible for driving, and which came from our efforts. What's the best way to go about this?

I thought I could clone the invite email, change the link inside to be unique to the partner (i.e., adding "?r=partner" to the end of the URL), and any registrant could be tracked back to the link that brought them there. Creating some smart lists to view the results, though, didn't show any activity when tested. I ended up just cloning the landing page (using the same form), so that if they fill out the form on that page they get added to a list, representing those leads the partner is responsible for. This worked, but I wonder if there is a simpler way that I'm not seeing. Any ideas from other channel-focused orgs? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Tracking Webinar Registrants that a Partner has Driven

If the email isn't sent through Marketo then it wouldn't be tracked, but that doesn't matter so much because the form doesn't care where the lead came from, only the url they used to get there.  As long as the parameter is included in the link that goes out with the email, then the form should pick it up.

When you click the link in your partner email, do you see the parameter in the url bar at the top of the linked page with the form?  If it doesn't show up there, then it wasn't included in the link, and the form can't pick it up..

John

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
John_Clark1
Level 10

I think you were on the right track with the url parameter.  What filters did you use in your smart list?

Also, you could have a hidden field on your form that would capture the url parameter if it was there.  That would tag leads too, and if the parameter was not there then the field would just remain empty.  This method allows you to use the same form for all registrants.

John

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Set+a+Form+Field+as+Hidden

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Set+a+Hidden+Form+Field+Value#SetaHiddenFormFieldValue-...

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Using+the+URL+Builder

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

John,

I added the URL parameter to the landing page link, as mentioned. Then, on the form, I added the hidden field MarketoParam with "Get Value From"=URL Parameter; "Parameter Name"=r; and "Default Value" being blank (so all conversions don't get this value, only those who come from the email with r=partner. The smart list filters were "Clicked Linked in Email" AND "Member of Program". (Just having the first filter wouldn't necessarily mean they went through with completing the form.)

I sent myself a sample of the partner email and went through the registration process. But when I checked my record in the Lead Database, my MarketoParam value had not changed. I also didn't appear in the smart list...even after waiting, adjusting the filters, etc. I had a co-worker do the same thing and also did not see results there. After thinking about, I figured that if a partner is sending out a Marketo email via sources outside of Marketo, then the email wouldn't be tracked, and I'd have to do something at the point of the landing page, not at the email. Is that wrong?

John_Clark1
Level 10

If the email isn't sent through Marketo then it wouldn't be tracked, but that doesn't matter so much because the form doesn't care where the lead came from, only the url they used to get there.  As long as the parameter is included in the link that goes out with the email, then the form should pick it up.

When you click the link in your partner email, do you see the parameter in the url bar at the top of the linked page with the form?  If it doesn't show up there, then it wasn't included in the link, and the form can't pick it up..

John

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Thank you, that helped clear things up!