Re: Tracking UTM parameters for multiple touch

Sanjeev_Bhai
Level 2

Tracking UTM parameters for multiple touch

We are currently using UTM parameters to track the visitor’s first touch. 

Can anyone tell me the best way to track the visitor’s all subsequent activities? 

Here is an example: 

The visitor first comes to our site through Google (UTM source = google).  Later that visitor comes through another source, such as LinkedIn and still remains anonymous.  The third time that visitor might come in through yet another source and this time fills out a form.  Since UTM parameters will only provide the first touch information, what is the best way for us to track the visitor's all subsequent activities (ie. Google, LinkedIn, 3rd party source, etc.)? 

Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Have you searched past threads?  We've discussed this profusely, and there are various user-contributed and commercial JS libraries mentioned. (There's no one "best" way: you'll always need a JS component running on every page but the feature set of that client-side component and its back-end service, if it has one, will differ).)

Sanjeev_Bhai
Level 2

Hi Sanford,

Thanks for your response. 

I looked at some of the previous messages regarding this topic but did not have much success.  I would really appreciate if you can point me to the right thread(s). 

You mentioned that there is no "best" way but can you suggest a way that can be done in Marketo that does not require any programming (JS component, etc). 

Thanks again.  

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

but can you suggest a way that can be done in Marketo that does not require any programming (JS component, etc).

There's no way that doesn't involve a JS component. Doesn't mean you have to write any JS, but you'll always have to plug some in.

Check this thread for example:

https://nation.marketo.com/message/189368-re-persistent-cookie-tracking-and-utm#comment-189368

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

the basics of multitouch attribution is to come up with a number of key milestones and for each milestone, stamp custom fields with details of the last program that had a success with the datetime and program name. You may need some javascript dev depending on how sophisticated you want your tracking to be

milestone examples: first visit, lead capture, opportunity creation, closed won

data examples:

First Visit timestamp: 2020-01-13T20:12:34Z

First Visit program: Google Ads always on Jan-20

Lead Capture timestamp: 2020-01-25T12:34:56Z

Lead Capture program: Retargeting always on

Opportunity Creation timestamp: 2020-02-13T17:34:11Z

Opportunity Creation program: New lead nurture

Closed Won timestamp: 2020-03-17T17:34:11Z

Closed Won program: SQL Webinar Mar-20