Tracking User Journey from Marketo Email to Marketo Form (embedded in Webflow)

RaulEr
Level 4

Tracking User Journey from Marketo Email to Marketo Form (embedded in Webflow)

I'm trying to track a user's journey from clicking a Marketo email to submitting a Marketo form embedded in a Webflow landing page. The form is simple, with only a checkbox for opt-in and a submit button.

How can I ensure that Marketo accurately recognizes and captures this user data throughout the entire process?

Specifically,
I need to know how to identify the user who clicked the email, in Marketo. I see the URL has my UTMs and the mkt_tok but is creating a new record instead of recognizing who did it.

Any insights or best practices would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Tracking User Journey from Marketo Email to Marketo Form (embedded in Webflow)

Standard behavior is for a click on a (mkt_tok-enized) Marketo link to associate the Munchkin cookie with the email recipient.

Of course a person can later enter a different email address on a form (if the Email field is present not locked + pre-filled). If they enter the same email address that received the email, the form post is expected to merge into the same person record, not create a new record. The only departure from this is if you have custom dedupe rules added by support.

Are you certain that the email address that received the email is exactly the same as the Email field on the form — not, for example, a plus address? (user+something@example.com and user@example.com  are not the same address.)

RaulEr
Level 4

Re: Tracking User Journey from Marketo Email to Marketo Form (embedded in Webflow)

Hi Sandford!

My form only has the checkbox and the submit button. In fact, the checkbox is pure HTML as I don't want to store it, I just want to confirm the form was submitted.

Do I have to ask for the receiver's email address even if the form was requested from the email?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Do I have to ask for the receiver's email address even if the form was requested from the email?

No.

The mkt_tok takes care of associating the form submission. You do not need the Email Address field on the form (and, arguably, having it shown and editable just leads to confusion).