Re: Tracking Issues for existing leads

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking Issues for existing leads

Hi guys,

Our website hosts Marketo forms that collect a whole bunch of data (including attribution data). Anytime a *new* lead (i.e. a lead that is NOT in our salesforce database) fills out our form, all of the data gets tracked correctly, they sync to our database, and all is well.

However, anytime a lead that is currently in our SFDC database fills out the form, whether they have preexisting attribution data or not, nothing happens - no data gets pulled into Marketo.

For example :

Lead 1 (exists in SFDC)

First Name: John

Last Name: Smith

email: email_1@gmail.com

Company: company_1

Phone: 1234567890

attribution: blank

Then, let's say that John comes back and fills out another form, but from a different company/email/phone (John/Smith/email_2@gmail.com/company_2/9876543210/attribution data: complete). He is saved as a lead in Marketo with his own Marketo Unique Name and all of his data is recorded.

However, none of that information is making its way into salesforce. In SF, he's still John Smith from company_1, with email_1, and no attribution data.

1) How can we make sure that, when a lead with any unique identifier (name, company, email) gets synced to SFDC as its own lead?

2) How can we ensure that leads with no preexisting attribution data sync that data, but leads that have preexisting attribution data do NOT overwrite their data? (i.e. it should only update those fields if they're blank)

Thanks for your help!

Andrew

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Admin > Field Management > Search field you're looking for > Select Field > Block Field Updates > Checkmark which lead input sources you want to block from field updates if information already exists.

As far as Marketo not updating current leads in SFDC, that sounds like read/write rules on the inside of SFDC, not Marketo. Think you'll have to get with your SFDC team to unlock permissions to your Marketo User role.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you offer any more detail about how to unlock permissions for our Marketo User role? Are you referring to permissions for the account that controls Marketo/SFDC sync?

I.e. is my SFDC synced account is JohnSmith@example.com, I need to adjust permissions for that account?

Sorry, just trying to figure this out ASAP. I really appreciate the help

Andrew

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Andrew! Not at all totally understand. Honestly, I am no integrations expert. As example, when our Marketo and SFDC instance was synced, anytime Marketo made an update to an SFDC lead it was done by "Marketo User." So, whatever SFDC Username is linked to your Marketo Integration is what needs to be opened up to greater write privileges on the fields you care about (first, last, company, etc.). It is probably just a universal block from SFDC not to allow API calls or systems to change those fields, so I think you just need your SFDC admin to unlock that capability or access. Sorry if I'm incorrect, but that's definitely where I would start!

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

If you use a new email address, Marketo creates a new lead. There's no way around this yet. Whatever your dedupe rules are will be followed. If you dedupe on email / company then the slightest change to a company name will create a new lead.

Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Robb,

The problem is that when we use the same email address but update other information it copies properly to Marketo but not SFDC.

So, it's not that we're getting too many new leads, it's that the leads we have aren't accepting Marketo's information.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Is there a separate workflow that syncs to SFDC that's not kicking off?

Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope.

Andrew

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

And you're sure the workflow that syncs isn't set to "lead can only flow through once?"

Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Robb,

Our workflows ARE set to "lead can only flow through once", but can you explain why that would matter?

• Our leads are recording information correctly in Marketo
  • Our database should be bidirectionally syncing with salesforce constantly?

I guess I'm confused about why that could be the case.

By the way, our user permissions = system admin (standard) and we have uninstalled any deduplication managed packages in SFDC that could be blocking the sync, and it still doesn't work.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew