SOLVED

Tracking conversions from direct mail using original referrer

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking conversions from direct mail using original referrer

I know there are ways to track visits and ultimately conversions from direct mail by using alternate landing pages or implementing a verification process unique to direct mail.  However, in the absence of doing this, I'm trying to sort out which leads (who filled out a specific form) came from direct mail (rather than from the email that we sent to the same landing page).

I pulled a smart list of everyone who filled out the form, and I included "Original Referrer" in the view.  Then I filtered out anyone whose "original referrer" was blank.  I feel like this should indicate anyone who came to the landing page directly rather than via a link.

Does that seem accurate?  
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Tracking conversions from direct mail using original referrer

URL parameters are the best way.

There are ton of threads on this and I wrote a bit about this on my blog.
  1. create a form
  2. add hidden fields that you want to track (lead source, offer type, etc)
  3. create url like: http://www.myfirm.com/offer-page.html?source=direct-mail&offer=XXXX&list-name=YYYY

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could say everyone who filled out the form and was not sent the email. That should split the group. I don't know that I'd use Original Referrer to do this.

To really be certain about things like this, it's best to create a standalone URL that's only used for direct mail. Or if you have your own URL shortener, you can include URL Parameters to indicate the source & then shorten it & use that on your printed piece.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The challenge is that many of the recipients received BOTH the email and the direct mail.

We did use an alternate URL on the mailer, but it redirected to the same landing page we used for email.  I didn't see the direct mail URL as a referrer (although I did see the domain).  So I wasn't sure if that was an option. 

Can you give me a little more details on how you use URL parameters to track?

Thanks for responding 🙂
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

URL parameters are the best way.

There are ton of threads on this and I wrote a bit about this on my blog.
  1. create a form
  2. add hidden fields that you want to track (lead source, offer type, etc)
  3. create url like: http://www.myfirm.com/offer-page.html?source=direct-mail&offer=XXXX&list-name=YYYY
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I will try this out.