Track the original traffic source PPC or Organic

Anonymous
Not applicable

Track the original traffic source PPC or Organic

We want to be able to track the original traffic source (PPC or Organic) and assign the proper Lead Source to leads as soon as they fill out a form. This form is a Marketo form, but it is not in a Marketo Landing Page. 

I don't need to know the search term. I only need to know if the lead is organic or paid. Currently, when I pull out a report for this specific form, all leads are "marketing web", but I know through AdWords Conversion Report that I had some leads from PPC (I only need to know which ones, so I can measure the results of my campaign).

Ps: the lading page lives in my company website

Thank you!
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Track the original traffic source PPC or Organic

Create hidden fields:

Lead Source: use URL parameter, Default=Organic

In the ad URL, add a URL parament "ls" where ls=paid (or whatever the value should be)

so your ad URL would be http://www.company.com/page.html?ls=paid

Now for Organic, you could do also do some fancy web server stuff where the server redirects the lead to the correct URL parameter if it knows the Referrer is Google. Not sure how to do that and if you use the Default above, it shouldn't matter much of the time.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much, Josh.
But the landing page of my campaign is not the page where the form lives.
Let's say that my landing page is the home of the website. If a visitor start navigating trought the home, visit 4 pages and later fills out my form in the "Contact Us" page (where the marketo form lives) I am afraid I'll miss the lead source because I don't have the infrastructure to follow all the path. Does it make sense?

Thanks,
Camila
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Camila,

We are looking into doing the same thing you are asking for and I was wondering if you found a way around it?

Thanks,
Alexia