SOLVED

Track External link & Sync to SFDC

Go to solution
Yun_Bai1
Level 4

Track External link & Sync to SFDC

Hello Marketo experts,

I am trying to create: when anyone clicks the customized link (with google analytics UTM code), lead will sync to a specific SFDC campaign. However, my test wasn't able sync to SFDC campaign.

In my Marketo program, there is only one smart campaign.

Smart list: Visits Web Page -->

Web Page contains: url

Querystring is: google utm code string

Flow steps:

Sync Lead to SFDC

Change status in SFDC Campaign.

I am wondering, if the program has to have Marketo asset built and associate with it? Such as put URL in an email?  Or there will be a way to track the external URL and sync to SFDC?

I did check the test lead activity log. It shows a row of record that I visited web page = page url. Clicked the record, it shows more details as below. Can you help me figure out if what I am trying to do is possible and how to achieve it?

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you,

Becky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Autumn_Mahoney1
Level 3

Re: Track External link & Sync to SFDC

We do this. Our query string contains a unique campaign code

pastedImage_0.png

If you want to choose a specific page, the easiest way is to start typing in the URL, starting after the https:// and let Marketo fill in the text for you to make sure you pick the right page.

pastedImage_1.png

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Becky,

I am not sure of what you are trying to achieve.

Please paste here a screen shot of your actual smart campaign and the actiity log of your test lead.

-Greg

Yun_Bai1
Level 4

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response! I am trying to track and sync leads to SFDC campaign, after they clicks on the link. Here please find the SC screenshots as below,

Smart list: (the SFDC_ID also added in the url.)

pastedImage_0.png

Flow steps:

pastedImage_1.png

Activity log:

pastedImage_2.png

The reason that test lead didn't sync to SFDC is because the SC never been called. I wasn't sure why. Thinking maybe related to how I set up the smart list, or the SFDC campaign id parameters wasn't been captured. Or it maybe not possible to track external url without any Marketo assets? Please let me know if I can provide any other information to make it clear to you.

Best,

Becky

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Looking at your screenshot of the visit webpage trigger, try chopping off the query string (from ? onwards) and also the domain (https://www.acronis.com/) so it's left with: contains "en-us/business/backup"

Then use constraint querystring contains and add the utm values you want.

pastedImage_0.png

Autumn_Mahoney1
Level 3

I do it this way too. But usually only put the campaign code into the querystring contains field (works if you use unique codes).

The SFDC ID parameter is also not helping at all.

But on the flow, I would put a condition on sync to only sync if it's a new lead. And if you do Change SFDC Campaign Status, you don't need to do Add to the Campaign first, it will add and change together. And that action will make the sync happen again.

Yun_Bai1
Level 4

Hi Autumn,

Thank you for your comment. For "Sync to SFDC" flow step, it will only happen once when sync a new lead to SFDC. I learned it from other posts's comment in Community. I am not sure how can you "add a condition to only sync if a new lead."

Best,

Becky

Autumn_Mahoney1
Level 3

Here's how we do it. Or choose Sales Owner Last Name is empty

AHHH. This only works for existing leads anyway. So no need to do the sync. We use this when the trigger is filled out a form (lead becomes known)

pastedImage_0.png

Yun_Bai1
Level 4

This is interesting. Thank you for sharing Autumn. I believe "Sync Person to SFDC" is to assign leads to either Queue or a specific sales person. This flow step will only happen once when a new lead came in. It will skip this step if the same record came in. I was trying to find a post in Community for your reference. But didn't find it, as I forgot what I was searching and found the post. Please correct me, if I missed or misunderstand anything.  PS: Probably you also know that "Add to SFDC Campaign" can also sync lead to SFDC.

Best,

Becky

Yun_Bai1
Level 4

Hi Jay,

Thank you very much for your input. I did tried the way you mentioned before post question here. However, it didn't work:( I also tried Greg's suggestion, just adding SFDC ID etc., nothing changes as well. The SC didn't get triggered...

Best,

Becky

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Becky,

1. Remove the https:// from the trigger contraint.
  2. How is the SFDC_ID field that you are using in the filter supposed to be captured inserted in the database ? This filter does not leverage the URL, it only leverage data from Marketo database. If this ID is part of the URL, simply use web page contains SFDC_ID=7015XXXXXXX (replace by the real ID) in your trigger and get rid of the filter.

-Greg