Re: Tokens - Correct Naming Convention?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tokens - Correct Naming Convention?

We have 3 brands and multiple unique sub-categories for each brand, what is the best way to name tokens (in programs), we have:

1. CTA header Title (over 20 variations)

2. Toll Free/landline number (over 150 numbers)

3. Form Button Title (over 12 variations)

Should it be:

1. My.Name

(Name being CTA-header, tollfree, form-button-title)

or

1. My.Brand.SubBrand-Media-Name

(ex: Program1-ChocolateIceCream-Paper-WithBerries-tollfree,
        Program2-ChocolateIceCream-TV-WithBananas-tollfree)

When I select tokens will it pull up token names on that specific program or from all tokens created on all programs?

6 REPLIES 6
Jackie_Potts
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

Tokens can go off of fields that are already available that pull from the person's record.

Local tokens which are for the specific program. We set them up by decided what they are named and then they show up as my."field name" and then can clone the program from a template in the future.

Tokens off of fields are also available and show up as campain."field name", company."field name", lead."field name" etc.

Jackie_Potts
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

Also, you could check out Ed's post on tokens and nuances of tracking Marketo Tokens: Ins and Outs

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

My Tokens will only be seen at the Program level.

I agree that you should design the Program and Folder Tokens to have a consistent naming scheme. Just pick one and use it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh i see so if I have each program with the Tokens named tollfree when I select Program 1, I will only see tollfree and not 3 tollfree tokens?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This should be true as long as the Tokens live at the program level. If you have Tokens set up at Folder level, any programs in that folder will inherit the tokens.

I use Folder tokens at regional folder level for email footer info. Potentially you could do the same with your brands, but it all depends on what works best for your structure.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

I like to have mine very consistent so they group together.  I also like to go Most General to Most Specific in terms of naming.

Email1-Paper-TollFreeNumber-ChocolateIceCream-WithBerries

Email1-Paper-TollFreeNumber-ChocolateIceCream-Bananas

Email1-Paper-TollFreeNumber-VanillaIceCream-Caramel

Email1-Paper-Website-ChocolateIceCream-Bananas

Email1-Paper-Website-VanillaIceCream-Caramel

Email1-Paper-TwitterHandle-ChocolateIceCream-Bananas

Email1-TV-TollFreeNumber-ChocolateIceCream-Bananas

Email1-TV-TollFreeNumber-ChocolateIceCream-Berries

Robb Barrett