Re: Token Is In Use and Cannot Be Overridden - Nurture Nightmare!

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Token Is In Use and Cannot Be Overridden - Nurture Nightmare!

Wow, just discovered this and it's a REAL nightmare!  Marketo recommends using Programs in Engagement Streams but - get this!  If you clone them across workspaces, all of the tokens are either created as new or overwrite existing tokens - IN EVERY. SINGLE. PROGRAM. IN. THE. STREAM!!!  This is a NIGHTMARE and causes all sorts of "token is in use and cannot be overwritten" headaches.  Oy!

What I'm seeing is that it's less work to just go ahead and create the program from scratch rather than clone across workspaces.  Add to it that deleting an Engagement Program is one of the most complex things you can do in Marketo.

Wow does this need to be fixed.

Robb Barrett
7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Robb,

Thx for letting us know. I have another reason to avoid storing programs inside an engagement program

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Robb, are you referring to tokens at the EP level or nested program level (or both)?  We have an EP template that we use when a new EP is needed in a workspace.  In this example there's just one token:

pastedImage_0.png

When we clone this, this token stays in tact.

I would try this with one of our existing EPs with nested programs - but like you say, deleting these are a nightmare.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

If you import a program from one workspace to another (because cloning never seems to work) then all tokens become Overwritten, even if they're the exact same value

Robb Barrett
Dan_Stevens_

are you "cloning" or "importing" a program?  When we clone across workspaces (e.g., from our CoE workspace - where all program templates reside - to a country workspace), we don't experience issues like this.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Importing.  I can't ever seem to get Cloning across workspaces to work for me.

Robb Barrett
Dan_Stevens_

By chance, are the tokens defined outside the program (e.g., at the campaign folder level - where they're inherited)?

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Yes, there are folder level tokens.

Robb Barrett