Hello, new-ish Marketo user here with a vexing situation involving Google Tag Manager and Munchkin code.
A few weeks ago, I added our Munchkin code to our GTM instance and submitted the changes, but I have seen zero activity in Marketo’s Analytics for the site it was deployed on.
This code has been in place for a few weeks now and I’ve got at least 5 other types of tags that are reporting data just fine, tags that’ve been added both before and after I’ve added the Marketo Munchkin tag. So I know for sure that our GTM account is functioning on all the pages. I can see that GTM is being placed on the pages between the <body> and <head> of each pages.
As recently as earlier this week, I attempted repasting the code into the tag and resubmitting my changes. Still nothing.
I have some other sites, on a different codebase & server that I've hardcoded the same Munchkin into, that have been receiving data in our Marketo Analytics, so the code seems fine, it’s just the GTM method that seems to fail, Lastly
I’d be thrilled for any input on this matter as it’s driving our team a little bonkers. Happy to provide additional 411 or screenshots, if it would help.
Clearly you must provide a URL if you want us to troubleshoot your installation.
Note GTM isn't recommended for Munchkin because you'll lose more hits due to additional indirection. Nevertheless it should be logging some data, not none.
You can't tell if data is being lost (by definition).
But you can reason out the possibilities quite easily: the more nested asynchronous tasks need to finish before someone navigates away the more likely it is that the end of the callback chain will never fire.
Your troubleshooting expertise would be fantastic help, thank you.
It's understood by our team that using Google TagManager has it's drawbacks but we do not have direct access or permission to edit the template's code, so to the best of my understanding, GTM is all we've got. We are willing to take the reported ~1% of bad data.
Here's the site:
Here are a couple screenshots that might help...
I've started to troubleshoot this and it's not that tag itself, it's a wider condition in your GTM. I'll look at it more tomorrow.
Hey Sanford, thanks for looking into this, it looks as if you are the master of all things GTM. Thought this screenshot, of where & how our GTM is being placed on all of our pages, might be a helpful addition. Thanks again.