Re: Sync to salesforce multi select picklist field

Biren_Dhulia
Level 2

Sync to salesforce multi select picklist field

I have a Multiple choice field in Marketo Form which is syncing to a Picklist (Not Multi Select Picklist) in Salesforce. So when leads go to the website and choose more than one option, only the first one syncs to Salesforce field. How do I capture all the options that lead had chosen? Do I just change the Picklist field in Salesforce to Multi Select Picklist?

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20
Mariah_Mattick
Level 4

Hi Biren! It may be best to align that picklist with SFDC's values to ensure proper data sync OR to align the SFDC field type to what users are seeing on the form (the multi-select). This will keep the data and user experience in 1-1 alignment between both systems. 

Mariah Mattick
Biren_Dhulia
Level 2

Hi Mariah Mattick,

Thanks for your reply. Both the picklist values (Marketo & SFDC) are aligned. The reason all the values are not syncing is SDFC field is Picklist not Multi-Select Picklist & Marketo field is Multi-Select checkboxes on the form. If i just simply change the SFDC field to Multi-Select picklist, will that resolve the issue? Will Marketo recognize the field type change in SFDC?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The situation actually has nothing to do with the type of form widget (Checkboxes).

It's solely about the value of the field: if you had a String or Textarea field on the form and filled in a semicolon-delimited string, or used a Change Data Value flow step, or the REST API, the outcome would be exactly the same.

The datatype in the Marketo database does not have a fixed relationship to the widget type. What matters is the value you try to fit in the field and whether SFDC understands it once it syncs over.

So yes, you must change the SFDC field to a multi-select picklist. Unlike in Marketo, the visual widget associated with an SFDC field is more closely related to the allowed value/s.

Biren_Dhulia
Level 2

Sanford Whiteman‌ I did change the SFDC field to Multi-Select picklist but the result is the same. Only the first selected checkbox from the form is synced to Salesforce. Do you where could be the disconnect? So for example - values on form checked was abc, def, ghi, jkl only abc was synced to matching SFDC field which is multi-select picklist.

SanfordWhiteman

What's happening in the other direction, if you select multiple values in SFDC for a new contact/person and wait for the sync?

Are you also positive that the Marketo field is holding the all the values in the first place (we didn't actually verify that above)?

Biren_Dhulia
Level 2

If i select multiple values in SFDC for new lead when it synced to Marketo i can see all values under SFDC custom field on the lead info page. I can see the form has the multiple checkboxes. Not sure which Marketo field holds the value that is coming from the website form.

SanfordWhiteman

You're looking at the field under SFDC Custom Fields. There's not a separate Marketo field, that *is* the field.

Biren_Dhulia
Level 2

This is what the field looks like. Not sure what if it holds any values.

pastedImage_1.png

SanfordWhiteman

Adding the column to a Smart List will tell you if it holds any values.