SOLVED

Re: Sync only selected SFDC leads

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sync only selected SFDC leads

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best way to partly sync our SFDC leads/contacts to Marketo.

I thought I could do it by creating restrictive sharing rules for our Market user, but according to this thread(http://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PHt9AAG), it seems to work only when let SFDC leads sync to Marketo.
Does it say when someone changes lead data on Marketo which Market User can't access, Marketo still can update that lead's info on SFDC? If Marketo would update only leads which Market User can see, It is ok for me to let Marketo do it.

Or as other people on that thread suggested, The best way is to create Smart Campaign to sync Marketo leads to SFDC? Can I still sync only selected SFDC leads to Marketo at the first sync by creating sharing rules for Market User?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

I think there are two things to keep separate: 
- SFDC Leads & Contacts syncing to Marketo
- Marketo Leads syncing to SFDC Leads

For the first item you need to adjust SFDC security settings so Marketo only has access to the Leads you want (e.g. this is a great way to keep Leads/Contacts with no email address out of Marketo). 

For the second item, read Steven's write-up above. Indeed, it's often easier to sync all net new Leads in Marketo to SFDC but mark them as "raw" until they are qualified. If that doesn't work for your specific situation, you can sync Leads only when they are qualified. In both cases, it is preferred to create a central Smart Campaign that syncs net new leads based on your criteria. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aikiko, the issue you're facing is a typical one.  We've found the best approach, if at all possible, is to sync all leads to Salesforce and use another means to restrict them.

The original paradigm here was selective sync: you'd be able to keep bad data out of SFDC, because your syncing to Salesforce would be opt-in.  Over time, however, this paradigm has been eroded in favor of other considerations, such as tighter integration between Marketo Programs and SFDC Campaigns.  

You can still restrict the sync, but its no longer feasible in most cases to have a single point of entry to SFDC unless you give up the Program syncing capabiliy.  You'll have to specifically ensure the leads you want to keep from SFDC do not enter any Marketo programs.  You should also keep a smart list of leads you want to keep out of SFDC and set up an alert if any end up in SFDC.
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

I think there are two things to keep separate: 
- SFDC Leads & Contacts syncing to Marketo
- Marketo Leads syncing to SFDC Leads

For the first item you need to adjust SFDC security settings so Marketo only has access to the Leads you want (e.g. this is a great way to keep Leads/Contacts with no email address out of Marketo). 

For the second item, read Steven's write-up above. Indeed, it's often easier to sync all net new Leads in Marketo to SFDC but mark them as "raw" until they are qualified. If that doesn't work for your specific situation, you can sync Leads only when they are qualified. In both cases, it is preferred to create a central Smart Campaign that syncs net new leads based on your criteria. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your answer. Good to know that I'll have to consider Marketo program and SFDC campaign sync. 

Hi Jep,

Thank you for your answer. I'll try to restrict the first sync from SFDC to Marketo by using sharing rules.

I guess Marketo wouldn't update a lead's data on SFDC if Marketo get a new lead data and there's a contact on SFDC which has the same E-mail adress since SFDC records is managed by ID. If so, there won't be a big problem about Marketo syncing to SFDC.

Thank you,

Akiko
Jason_Krall4
Level 2

Jep and others,

A follow up question to your answer.  We have SFDC contacts that we don't want in Marketo because they come from an external DB which causes a significant amount of duplicates. In addition we want to restrict those who do not have an email address. 

If I restrict Marketo to only allow leads with an email address and not from the external DB loading to SFDC, how do I then sync them later if they do have an email address filled out. They would already be in SFDC...How do I trigger SFDC to now sync them with Marketo?

Thanks

Jason
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

@Jason: if the record in SFDC changes, it'll automatically sync to Marketo (assuming Marketo now has access to the record)

Best, 
Jep