SOLVED

Re: Suppressing members of nurture from other email sends

Go to solution
Angharad_Kearle
Level 2

Suppressing members of nurture from other email sends

I'm hoping I can explain this in a way that isn't too confusing.....I've built a nurture stream but I'm running into an issue with other email comms. I want to prevent the members of the nurture program from receiving all other Marketo emails, until they have reached the end of the stream/exhausted all content. 

When they have finished the stream they qualify for, they should be able to receive other program emails. Essentially they will be ring-fenced while they are receiving emails in the nurture program. 

As the nurture will add people when they qualify, people will be at different stages. So I can't add a filter on the smartlist for other email sends to remove members the nurture program. 

Is there a way to suppress members of a nurture from receiving other emails, just until they have finished the stream they are in? 

Angharad Kearle
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Even a global team should have common rules of engagement and be able to communicate them, shouldn't it? So I think something like: Please everybody make sure your email sending Smart Lists contains "Is not Member of Engagement Program A with the constraint Exhausted Content = FALSE" should be acceptable.

Here's another idea: If your Engagement Program contains programs and not emails, you could set all recipients to Marketing Suspended = TRUE "around" your email send. Like this:

pastedImage_1.png

So your program members would always be Marketing Suspended and jump out of suspension only for the logical second that your email is sent.

Disclaimer: I haven't tested this. It's just an idea.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

A filter mentioning "not a member of nurture program" in the other email-sends would have been the simple method, if there was a possibility to remove the members from nurture program when they complete a stream. However, given the suppression is only needed until someone completes one of the streams, you may want to track stream completion*. 

1. You could track the delivery/send attempt of last content piece in every stream by tagging a field, say Stream Status = Stream 1 Completed, Stream 2 Completed...etc

2. Add that field in the email-send campaigns saying, Stream Status is empty.

pastedImage_59.png

Hope this helps, but open to more suggestions!

*This would also mean updating the tracking if you add more content pieces to the stream

Angharad_Kearle
Level 2

Thanks, Balkar! I'm trying to avoid adding it as a filter on the smart list for every email send.

We're a global team with sends from a lot of different departments and this nurture is EU focused, I just don't think it's a scalable approach. I also don't think it's possible to achieve what I want to without it

Angharad Kearle
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Even a global team should have common rules of engagement and be able to communicate them, shouldn't it? So I think something like: Please everybody make sure your email sending Smart Lists contains "Is not Member of Engagement Program A with the constraint Exhausted Content = FALSE" should be acceptable.

Here's another idea: If your Engagement Program contains programs and not emails, you could set all recipients to Marketing Suspended = TRUE "around" your email send. Like this:

pastedImage_1.png

So your program members would always be Marketing Suspended and jump out of suspension only for the logical second that your email is sent.

Disclaimer: I haven't tested this. It's just an idea.

Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

If we can ensure that other email campaigns are not scheduled at the cast-time of the stream, this could be even better for this case.

Angharad_Kearle
Level 2

Thanks, Michael and Balkar! I'm going to test this method. 

Angharad Kearle