Subscription name appearing in our Google Analytics site content as a page hit -> leading to 404

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

Subscription name appearing in our Google Analytics site content as a page hit -> leading to 404

In our Google Analytics Site Content screen, we have a page/url view that has our subscription name in it, ex.: /subscriptionname This page/url is not a valid page and returns a 404 when clicked.

We see a large increase of hits to this when our email campaigns are sent out and some customers are receiving 404's and leaving our website which is a huge issue. They should not be getting to this.  We have had over 5000 views of this over the last 3 months.

From what we see in analytics

• 100% of the errors occurred on google chrome
  • 100% of the errors were on desktops
  • 99% of the errors were for people on a 1260x960 screen size (4:3 Ratio, so probably old device)
  • 100% using Windows operating system

We don't have any url's like that so think it's something happening with the email campaign somewhere. Is there any ideas for what could be causing this?

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Subscription name appearing in our Google Analytics site content as a page hit -> leading to 404

Hi Jeffrey,

You almost certainly have this link somewhere in your email and mail security scanners (not people) are discovering it. This would be my working theory. If you send the exact email (not sample) to sandy@teknkl.com I'll inspect it and let you know.

Jeffrey_Tolhurs
Level 2

Re: Subscription name appearing in our Google Analytics site content as a page hit -> leading to 404

Hello,

We have sent a email to sandy@teknkl.com 

Thank you.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Did you send a real email (not test/sample)? DM me the Subject so I can find it.