Specific Definition of the Has Opportunity filter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Specific Definition of the Has Opportunity filter

Can I get clarification on the specific definition of the Has Opportunity filter in Marketo as it pertains to Salesforce? It is one of the following, but I need to know which one. The difference is important.
  • APPROACH 1: "Has Opportunity" means any Opportunity where the Marketo lead (a Salesforce Contact) is linked to an Opportunity via the Opportunity Contact Roles list.
OR
  • APPROACH 2: "Has Opportunity" means any Opportunity where the Marketo lead is linked to an Opportunity via the Account the Marketo lead is accociated with.
Example: Suppose a Salesforce Account has 5 contacts and 1 opportunity, but only 3 of the 5 contacts are linked to the Opportunity via the Contact Roles. Approach 1 above would result in 3 people being the result of a Has Opportunity smart list, but Approach 2 would result in 5 people.

Which is it? It's really hard to tell. My tendency was to think it was Approach 1, but when I use Constraints the "role" field does not appear which leads me to believe it's Approach 2.

We only want to market to the people that are part of Opportunities, but have not had Marketo long enough for the Added to Opportunity filters to work for us since it hasn't obtained all that trigger history.
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Specific Definition of the Has Opportunity filter

So, for RCA's Opportunity Analyzer, it is both. So the Account is the primary view and it will show opp influence even if there is no Lead that has a Contact Role. Of course, if it DOES have a Contact Role(s), then the data is much better and clearly links back to the sources.

The way I use it is to assume Approach 1. Why? Because it doesn't really make sense for you to pull all leads of an Account that has an Opp associated with only the Account. How would Marketo be sure who influenced the Opportunity?

This is why it is impt for your SFDC setup to force Contact Roles on salespeople.

Now, I totally admit that Approach 2 can also be valid here, so I'd love to have some input from Jep or other folks. The best way to test this is to have an Account with Opp and another Account with Contact Roles to see what pops up.

Has Opportunity Filter:
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KytECAS

Opp Analyzer
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoTutorial?id=kA250000000KypZCAS

Your earlier discussion
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PGLBAA4
Anonymous
Not applicable

(99% certain here but I have been wrong 🙂

Since Marketo operates at the "lead" level, that filter is specific to leads/contacts in SFDC, ergo "Approach 1" is how Marketo applies the "Has Opportunity" filter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Based upon my testing, it is indeed Approach 1, which is good news.

Maybe this is a note to the Marketo dev team to help alleviate confusion (at least my confusion 🙂 ).
  • We brought over custom objects associated to our Salesforce Accounts ("Licenses" and "Orgs"). The filters that are auto-created for these are "Has License" and "Has Org". So it's the same naming convention of "Has Opportunity", but actually taking an Approach #2 way of filtering.
    • It could be a good idea for Marketo to offer both filters for Opportunities. "Has Opportunity (via Contact Roles)" and "Has Opportunity (via Account)". I'd expect them to come up with better naming. (I'll log an idea).
  • When doing constraints against the "Has Opportunity" filter, the "Role" field is not available. This is where my confusion began. If Has Opportunities is based upon Contact Roles, then the Role field should be available.
It is my understanding that the "Was Added to Opportunity" only captures additions made where the Marketo trigger "Added to Opportunity" fires, correct? Thus, for a new Marketo customer (us), the data in this filter will not be valid until more time has passed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of good observation from you Scott...I see a future Marketo Champion brewing here...or at least another thorn in their side helping to spur development 🙂

Your question at the end is correct; Marketo needs to see that event happen before it can filter on it, so it will only be applicable for new Was Added to Opportunity events since your first sync.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd prefer getting the"thorn in the side" badge. 🙂 I'll work on that.

Kidding aside, I'd love to know the best approach to providing constructive criticism and work with Marketo to improve things. Ideas seems the place to start and to be noisy here in discussions.

One thing I was surprised to hear is that Marketo does not have a user experience team to validate things with customers. Maybe I heard that incorrectly, but if not, that seems like a good place for them to invest some of the money from going public.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys, I'm so happy I found this thread. I faced an issue with this when we sent an email to a lead without knowing that its company had an open opportunity. We normally exclude prospects but that lead wasn't assigned a contact role in the opportunity and that's how it happened. Well, we lost a huge deal because of that single email.

The question is, is there any workaround that allows to automatically filter ALL leads from accounts that have open opportunities? I can only think of maintaining a list of accounts to exclude from marketing activities, but I can't imagine a rule that would create a smart list. Any ideas (except from "do it manually") are really welcome! And big thanks in advance of course.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the issue is the difference between Marketo reviewing activity log data and a real-time query of an object in Salesforce via the flow-action API...