SOLVED

Re: Smartlist for form submissions: Webpage versus Referrer constraint

Go to solution
Sid_Patil
Level 2

Smartlist for form submissions: Webpage versus Referrer constraint

Hello,

I have a webpage, www.abcd.com which has a form asking users to sign up. I want to know how many people ended up filling out the form through this webpage: There are two ways I tried to do this:

Fill out form is Any (since there is only one form on this webpage)

Referrer constraint is www.abcd.com

Webpage constraint is www.abcd.com

I get different results using either of the smartlist. Could someone help me understand how adding a referrer constraint is different than webpage on which the form is published?

I used Referrer because when I click on Activity logs on some other form fill outs, I see Referrer being captured as a form element which was usually the webpage on which the form existed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ankit_Dua
Level 6

Hi Sid,

Try using the following criteria in the smart list, You use the webpage constraint as it is designed for Marketo Landing Pages.

Filled out form " Name of the form" 

Web page is ( "Name of Marketo lp" or "Link of the webpage")

If you are using the embedded form you can use referral url, as it is designed to track the form you have embedded on the external page.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ankit_Dua
Level 6

Hi Sid,

Try using the following criteria in the smart list, You use the webpage constraint as it is designed for Marketo Landing Pages.

Filled out form " Name of the form" 

Web page is ( "Name of Marketo lp" or "Link of the webpage")

If you are using the embedded form you can use referral url, as it is designed to track the form you have embedded on the external page.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Sid_Patil
Level 2

Thanks for explaining this, Ankit. This was helpful

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

As Ankit mentions, for a form embed, always (and only) use the Referrer constraint.

Note that you're using Referrer [is] which means if the URL has query parameters, it will not match. You should almost always be using Referrer [starts with] here.

And please don't use dummy URLs like "www.abc.com" when (a) that's an actual domain owned by somebody else, not your domain and (b) in reality, you're including a pathname, not just the hostname, in your filter.  The standard example domain is example.com.

Sid_Patil
Level 2

Thank you for the response, Sanford Whiteman‌. I will remember those guidelines when i post next.