SOLVED

Re: Smart Lists - Reductive vs. Inclusive

Go to solution
bradyware
Level 2

Smart Lists - Reductive vs. Inclusive

Is it possible to make an inclusive smart list? The default is reductive, but I want to make filters for email blasts to include all the following contacts of these groups not reduce the contacts who have all of these characteristics:

Member Type: Team Members, Clients, Prospects

who subscribe to these newsletters:

Manufacturing, Construction, Small Business 

How do I do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Broderick_Klem1
Level 4

What do you mean by reductive/inclusive? If I'm understanding you correctly, I think what you're wanting is to include people who
1. are any of these Member Types: Team Members, Clients, Prospects 
OR
2. subscribe to any of these newsletters: Manufacturing, Construction, Small Business

So the first thing you need to do is change the smart list criteria up at the top from "ALL these filters" to "ANY of these filters" (or to advanced logic if needed). Then any additional filter you add will have an OR statement between it effectively expanding the audience with each filter rather than limiting it more.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Broderick_Klem1
Level 4

What do you mean by reductive/inclusive? If I'm understanding you correctly, I think what you're wanting is to include people who
1. are any of these Member Types: Team Members, Clients, Prospects 
OR
2. subscribe to any of these newsletters: Manufacturing, Construction, Small Business

So the first thing you need to do is change the smart list criteria up at the top from "ALL these filters" to "ANY of these filters" (or to advanced logic if needed). Then any additional filter you add will have an OR statement between it effectively expanding the audience with each filter rather than limiting it more.

bradyware
Level 2

I want to include all of those member types and all of those newsletters.

But I figured it out on my own with the Advanced Filters: 

1 - Member Type is: Team Member, Business Client, Prospect

2 - Newsletter is Manufacturing

3 - Newsletter is Construction

4 - Newsletter is General Business

So the Advanced Filter would be: 1 and (2 or 3 or 4)

Worked perfectly.

Broderick_Klem1
Level 4

Great, glad that helped!