SOLVED

Smart list logic doesn't seem to be working on data value change

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smart list logic doesn't seem to be working on data value change

Hi! Hoping my Marketo friends can help me wit this one, as I've stumped myself.

We have a smart campaign designed to sync leads to a campaign in SFDC only if they have filled out a specific form on a specific page with a specific answer to a standard question. (Specific, yes? 😉 The challenge is that we are getting about 20% of people who have never filled out the form (their activity field shows that they haven't) and yet are getting synched anyway.

The question "in question" is "I have a project" = true/false (this is a custom field we built that is used by multiple Marketo users on various forms). I have my smart campaign set up so that the smart list is:

Trigger: Fills out form "ABC Form" w/ constraint "On web page XYZ web page"
Trigger: Data value changes - Attribute = "Have Project" - New Value = "True"

Then the flow is to Add Lead to SFDC Campaign - Campaign = "Campaign 123"

The smart list logic is set to use all filters. So if the logic is right, they should only be synched to that SFDC campaign if their data value changes to true AND they filled out that form. Yet, we have leads who are being synched to that SFDC campaign who did answer that question as true on OTHER forms on OTHER pages. What am I missing?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Smart list logic doesn't seem to be working on data value change

The trick there is that the trigger logic is always OR logic.
So it's always trigger1 OR trigger2 OR trigger3 AND (filter logic as specified).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me as well. If your program is synched to SFDC and you have a progression status change, I believe it will do the synch at that time, regardless of other criteria. There is some info on the site - sorry that I don't have the link handy.

We address this by initially having leads assigned to our Marketo user then only reassign once other criteria are met such as becoming MQL then we assign to lead queues.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Clinton! In this case, the program is not synched to SFDC. We are only synchronizing at the smart campaign level because we only want to move the leads if they provide a specific answer on this form alone.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting - are you distinguishing the sfdc type - if they have been previously promoted - e.g. SFDC lead or Contact they will still update.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are not distinguishing - as we would want this behavior (them being pushed to a specific SFDC campaign as a member) to happen regardless of the type.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I think I've figured it out by looking at a somewhat similar campaign built by our consultant during our integration. It appears that I need to make that data value change a FILTER, not a trigger. (The trigger being they filled out the form, but the campaign only "acts" so to speak if they filled out the form and are further filtered to have that data value changed.) I guess I can see the logic of this, though personally it made just as much sense for it to be two equally weighted and interdependent TRIGGERS. But hey, I tested it and it seems to have worked, so yay!

Clinton, thank you SO much for talking through it with me.

Michaela
Anonymous
Not applicable

The trick there is that the trigger logic is always OR logic.
So it's always trigger1 OR trigger2 OR trigger3 AND (filter logic as specified).