Re: Smart Campaign Best Practice: One or Many

AshleighMo
Level 4

Smart Campaign Best Practice: One or Many

I need a sanity check here from the masses.. 

Scenario: 

A nurture of let's just say 6 emails is to be sent out, What is the "best practice" in marketo to set up the following:

Is it better to: 

1. Have multiple smart campaigns (1 per email) for engagement activities (opens, clicks, etc.) with 1 flow step. OR

2. Have 1 smart campaign (for all emails combined) with a flow step with multiple choices (for each email choice). 

ex.)

1. Smart list: clicked email 1

Flow: Change Status in SFDC: Clicked

2. Smart List: Clicked Email 1,2,3,4,5,6

Flow: Change status in SFDC:

If Email 1 -- SFDC Campaign 1: Clicked

If Email 2 -- SFDC Campaign 2: Clicked

If Email 3 -- SFDC Campaign 3: Clicked

If Email 4 -- SFDC Campaign 4: Clicked

If Email 5 -- SFDC Campaign 5: Clicked

If Email 6 -- SFDC Campaign 6: Clicked

We want to minimize processing power in marketo so which one takes less power? 

2 REPLIES 2
Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

If you want to use choices, it is usually better since you get everything in one smart campaign flow - however, only the first matching choice  applies. You would need to setup the smart campaign settings to qualify people more than once.

Refer #9 in the following article
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/core-marketo-concepts/smart-li...

PS - Usually you don't want a different SFDC Campaign for every Email. I tend to understand SFDC Campaign to represent the overall marketing campaign (in this case, Nurture)

AshleighMo
Level 4

Hi @Balkar_Singh - I Agree with your statement on the SFDC Campaigns. However, that's not something the company is willing to change despite pushback so I try to adapt. 

I have no preference to 1 campaign per email or 1 campaign with many choices. I agree with the set up you have mentioned, I just wasn't sure if one was better in terms of priority/processing power over another. If they are essentially equal, that's ok too.