Skipping import of duplicate imports

Anonymous
Not applicable

Skipping import of duplicate imports

Hi,

I've read the documentation around the different options when importing a list but I don't think any of them match my requirements. I want to import a list and for any duplicates to be skipped entirely i.e. not for them to make any changes to existing lead records. This is because I need to import only leads, and not update any of the SFDC contacts that also exist in our instance. I can't find a way to do this - advice gratefully receieved!
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Skipping import of duplicate imports

Hi Ellie,

You can use the Skip new leads and updates option (if this list you have has no new records for the system) which does not impact existing lead records and does not log any activities. Selecting this mode will: skip new lead creation, skip lead field updates, and will skip activity logging. This mode is used to create quick, pre-filtered static lists of existing leads for use in your marketing activities.

If you believe there ARE new records on the list, you can simply just import only the new records into the system- knowing that they are not in Marketo or SFDC yet.

To do this, you can create a smart list with the "Email Address is" filter and copy and paste the email addresses in your list import into the query region. After you have entered all of the email addresses (you may have to use multiple "Email Address is " blocks as they usually only hold around 1,000 values) you can then click on the Lead tab. This will provide you with the list of individuals that are on your import list and are also already in Marketo/SFDC. From there, you can download this list and run a VLOOKUP in excel to compare this list from Marketo and your import list to attain the net new individuals to load into the system.

Let me know if you need clarification or more information.

Thanks!

Morgan
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that seems like a lot of steps to go through to import new leads. It really seems like this should be a basic import function in Marketo.
Tim_Norton1
Level 1

Another option that I've found slightly easier (but still a couple of steps):

1. Create two static lists: (i) Existing Leads and (ii) New Leads
2. First import your external list into "Existing Leads" >> make sure you select import mode = "Skip new leads and updates"
3. Check import status when complete >> specifically "Skipped: XX leads" >> download/save this file (ie. records from your external list that are NEW leads and NOT already in your database)
4. Next, import the "skipped leads" file into "New Leads" static list created earlier >> import mode = "Optimised for new leads"

This (hopefully) means no VLOOKUP or need for Excel.

TIP: when first importing in step #2, make sure you include all the columns/fields you'll want to use in step #4 when creating your new leads ... otherwise you will be stuck manipulating stuff in Excel!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Emily that this should be simpler in Marketo.

I used the process that Morgan suggested except that I added all the emails from the smart list under the emails in the list I want to import in Excel, and instead of VLOOKUP I used the =countif(range, value)>1 formula, I find that easier than VLOOKUP.  BTW, you can add 2000 emails at once to the "Email Address is" field.
Colin_Campbel
Level 2

I use the vlookup process and it would certainly be nice to have some sort of option within Marketo to help avoid this in future instances.